Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C3D 2021 - Viewport lock does not appear in the Right Click Menu anymore

45 REPLIES 45
Message 1 of 46
Anonymous
3603 Views, 45 Replies

C3D 2021 - Viewport lock does not appear in the Right Click Menu anymore

Any idea why the viewport lock does not show up in my right click menu anymore? It was there, and then one day it was not. I am not sure why.

We have upgraded 3 seats to C3D 2021 and all 3 have the same issue. The 2020 seats still have the viewport controls in the right click menu. I have been using 2021 for a month now and i think it was fine. I just noticed this happened. The other 2 seats were upgraded to 2021 within the last 2 weeks. Both were for new hires that would not have noticed anything different. 

Pickfirst is set to 1.

I am only clicking on the single viewport. No multiply selections.

Options - User Preferences - "Shortcut menus in drawing area" is checked.

45 REPLIES 45
Message 21 of 46
jae.kwon
in reply to: Anonymous

Following worked for me:

1. open cui

2. unload the partial acad.cuix

3. load the partial acad.cuix (from %appdata%\Autodesk\C3D 2021\enu\support)

4. apply & ok to save changes to the cui

Give that a try.

Message 22 of 46
DentonYoder
in reply to: Jeff_M

Is there a way to just menuload the partial cui file that has the mview edit functions?

Message 23 of 46
DentonYoder

I think I did the above directions correctly, but got no benefit.

I did the command cui and under partial I unloaded acad; then hit the open icon and browsed to appdata roaming autodesk... c3d enu support and selected the acad.cuix... no change.  Do I need to force something to re-compile or edit the file first?

Message 24 of 46
jae.kwon
in reply to: DentonYoder

Shutting down C3D and restarting it maybe?

That's odd... the unload/reload acad.cuix fixed it for half a dozen people I've talked to about it so far. I'll post an update if I find anything new.

Message 25 of 46
codee
in reply to: wfberry

Keeping the properties menu open at all times GREATLY reduces the selection speed of 3D objects and labels.

Message 26 of 46
DentonYoder

It also reduces screen space.  I miss my old hitachi 1212e digitizer!  It let you get ALL the icons off the screen and have them on a board where they never moved!  Mice suc

Message 27 of 46
hencoop

@Jeff_M I'm a little late to this party but your help has been invaluable as usual.  With your help I was able to copy the Shortcut Menus "Viewport Object Menu" and "Viewport Objects Menu" from Partial Customization Files>ACAD>Shortcut Menus to CIVIL>Shortcut Menus and get the View Clip... options restored.

hencoop_0-1614192217215.png

Even so, I was still getting frustrated trying find how to delete my existing viewport clipping.

I was thinking there must be a new command for deleting viewport clipping since the VPCLIP prompt is: Select clipping object or [Polygonal] <Polygonal>:

Finally, on a hunch I entered "D" at this prompt.  Sure enough!  The "Delete" option exists behind this prompt!

There are far too many AutoCAD commands that DO NOT include all of the valid options!

I wish Autodesk would pay closer attention to these details as much as they do to adding new features

AutoCAD User since 1989. Civil Engineering Professional since 1983
Product Ver.: 13.6.1781.0 Civil 3D 2024.3 Update
Built On:        U.152.0.0 AutoCAD 2024.1.2
                        27.0.37.14 Autodesk AutoCAD Map 3D 2024.0.1
                        8.6.52.0 AutoCAD Architecture 2024
Message 28 of 46
Kevin.Dittman

good solution
Message 29 of 46
scmallory

I completely agree, the loss of this function wastes time. I typically use the Auto-Hide feature with my Property dialogue box. There is always a slight delay opening the dialogue boxes on autohide. As well, I can not clip the viewport through the property dialogue box. 

Select the viewport and type VPCLIP, I feel will be the fastest solution, if the right click function is eliminated. 

Message 30 of 46
AllenJessup
in reply to: scmallory

I edited the CUI as suggested by @Jeff_M and shown by @hencoop .  I didn't even remember it was missing until your post.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 31 of 46
hencoop
in reply to: scmallory

The big problem with this change is that a viewport that has already been clipped cannot be selected... even with selection cycling turned on.

... So, I was confirming this and it is absolutely true that you will NOT be able to select the viewport (when selection cycling is turned on).

However, if you select the clipping polyline instead you will have actually selected the viewport (or else the prompt is in error and it should be "select viewport to clip OR select viewport clipping boundary").  Nevertheless, if you struggled with selecting clipped viewports like I did when selection cycling is turned on, turning selection cycling off and/or selecting the clipping polyline will allow you to delete the clipping boundary or create a new clipping boundary.

Message 32 of 46
AllenJessup
in reply to: hencoop

I don't seem to have any trouble selecting a clipped viewport with selection cycling on. I clipped a rectangular viewport with an irregular polyline and could still select itl

I also was able to select it with cycling off.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 33 of 46
hencoop
in reply to: AllenJessup

My system refuses to select the Viewport if I choose Viewport from the selection cycling menu.  It works if I choose the Polyline from the selection cycling menu.

Message 34 of 46
DentonYoder
in reply to: AllenJessup

My favorite clipping it to draw anything I want and turn it into a section
with the region command. Then use union, subtract or intersection to
refine what I want or put a hole in the mview... then use the mview command
with the object switch and select your 2d section. Poof, you have the most
interesting mview ever created!
denton@vt.edu
Message 35 of 46
hencoop

I'm not sure I follow you but it sounds interesting.  If you have time could you make a Screencast of how you do that and post it?

Message 36 of 46
AllenJessup

Yes. I use that method when I want to create a "keyhole" viewport. Most of ours are boring rectangles. But it's nice to get creative once in a while.

I also have used that method to get areas such as Impervious Surface. Then use fields to get that into a table.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 37 of 46
AllenJessup

Any variation on this should work.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 38 of 46
DentonYoder

My Paperspace video is: 07 Paperspace - YouTube

I cover mview from regions at exactly 16 minutes into the video.
Message 39 of 46
DentonYoder

It looks like it stripped the link out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S2rxBIFObE

16 minutes in I start region based mview

Message 40 of 46
hencoop

@DentonYoder I see.  I don't use region or union except when working with 3D solids and I rarely do that.  I do use polylines with arcs and circles to make some viewports.  Most often it is for blowup details on my as-built P&P sheets.  If there isn't a suitable clear space in my plan I'll keyhole the plan and put my blowup detail in the keyhole as another viewport.

One thing I can take away from this is that it seems much easier to use Union to make the clipping boundary than it is to trim circles and polylines and then Pedit Join them.  I like easier!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report