Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue Spinning circles - Civil 3D not responding

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
neilyj666
487 Views, 8 Replies

Blue Spinning circles - Civil 3D not responding

This seems to be happening more often recently - all of a sudden Civil 3D becomes unresponsive and the crosshair cursor can't be seen and nothing can be selected. Hovering over the C3D icon in the taskbar shows the below  blue spinning circles and the task manager shows acad.exe as "not responding"

Screenshot 2023-12-06 105304.png 

Whilst I can kill the process, I have no idea how much work I'll lose as I don't know what will be saved in the recovery file.

This is very annoying behaviour which I can't reproduce on demand - any one else having similar issues?

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2025 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Labels (2)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
AllenJessup
in reply to: neilyj666

I've seen it. I think anyone who has run Civil 3D for any length of time has seen it. I've never found a way out other than End Task.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
neilyj666
in reply to: AllenJessup

After the  End Task, I restarted and recovered the file but even though I have set the autosave to 10 minutes there wasn't an autosaved file available within the previous 30 minutes so I had  a lot of rework to do...😡

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)

EESignature

Message 4 of 9
AllenJessup
in reply to: neilyj666

I've set permissions on a folder I've created just for temp and Autosave files so that the system can't delete those files. It means I have to clean it out frequently. But the software can't delete the Autosave files.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 5 of 9
rl_jackson

I too have had issues with the Autosave feature not "Autosaving", It's routinely been an issue. I know that uStation doesn't have this issue something to do with how each program uses memory.

@AllenJessup what do you do to the folder just make it Read/Write only?

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

EESignature

Message 6 of 9
AllenJessup
in reply to: rl_jackson

@rl_jackson 

This is how it is set. I did this years ago when I still had Admin rights.

AllenJessup_1-1701886607590.png

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 7 of 9

2 things I have done to combat the spinning blue circle.  Not guaranteed to be 100% effective, but it does help a ton.

1) check the task manager.  IGNORE it if it says 'Not responding', this means it isn't accepting user input, which we already know.  Check to see if the memory is fluctuating.  If it is, then it is doing something.

2) Hover over the Civil 3d icon on the taskbar.  For the drawing that is stuck, click the 'Red X Close Program Button'

brianstrandberg_0-1701906881912.png

This will force Civil 3d to bring up the Save Drawing prompt.  I can then hit Cancel to abort the close program sequence and save my drawings normally.  I usually continue working. 

brianstrandberg_1-1701906922505.png

Check out my Civil 3d blog at: http://c3dk.com/
Favorite Posts: Use Dynamo For Surface Analysis: https://youtu.be/eJNdX6guMP8
Fast Track your site grading with the new Corridor Workflow: https://youtu.be/Gg7u9-LgIL0
Message 8 of 9

Good tips. I check the Page Fault Delta. I often see the program busily paging to the disk. Don't know why because it always looks like there is plenty of memory available.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 9 of 9
neilyj666

Yes I always check the PF Delta and generally leave Civil 3D if the delta is changing but the problem is usually how long to leave it for??

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report