Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bing Map Scale

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
RONNIEJ
1757 Views, 22 Replies

Bing Map Scale

Hi,

I am new to using maps with AutoCAD and newish to Civil 3D. Was an LT user for years. I am attempting to use Geo Location on Civil 3D to get a map into my drawing. I am having difficulty getting it to scale correctly. I am not sure if this is due to my coordinate system or what. I have read some forums and watched some video but I am obviously missing something.

I am attaching a pretty blank DWG with some sample coordinates. They were surveyed in NAD83 CSRS UTM Zone 13N  Near Outlook Saskatchewan in Canada

Maybe someone can make it work and write down the steps they took.

Thank You in advance

22 REPLIES 22
Message 21 of 23
Pointdump
in reply to: RONNIEJ

Ronnie,

"Is there a way to improve the quality of the image?"

Nope. 'Fraid not. Bing Live Maps got really lame this past summer with their new "update". However you have lots of options, like <<<ArcGIS for AutoCAD>>>, which uses ESRI's excellent imagery. (Slower that Bing, though). You can also search around for Canadian Imagery from Government sources. There's also some free imagery in <<<Trimble Data Marketplace>>>.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 22 of 23
jmartt
in reply to: Pointdump

You'll notice that the maps don't plot unless you "Capture Area. After you do so, you can change the resolution of the capture from Optimal to Very Fine. That's the best you'll get from it, I believe.

BTW, @Pointdump is one of the most helpful guys around. I've been the benefactor of many of his contributions. I wasn't trying to call you out there, Dave. 

Message 23 of 23
RONNIEJ
in reply to: jmartt

I have plaid with the capture and been able to improve the image slightly. I still think it is very poor quality. Today I am trying to setup the arcgis for some better images. 

It took some messing around but I got the bing maps working and you guys were a ton of help. I really appreciate it all.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report