Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bing Map Scale

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
RONNIEJ
1852 Views, 22 Replies

Bing Map Scale

Hi,

I am new to using maps with AutoCAD and newish to Civil 3D. Was an LT user for years. I am attempting to use Geo Location on Civil 3D to get a map into my drawing. I am having difficulty getting it to scale correctly. I am not sure if this is due to my coordinate system or what. I have read some forums and watched some video but I am obviously missing something.

I am attaching a pretty blank DWG with some sample coordinates. They were surveyed in NAD83 CSRS UTM Zone 13N  Near Outlook Saskatchewan in Canada

Maybe someone can make it work and write down the steps they took.

Thank You in advance

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
RONNIEJ
in reply to: RONNIEJ

I should add... When it prompts for an address I am not sure what to put to get it to start in the right place. cadaddress.PNG

Message 3 of 23
jmartt

Why do you think the scale is wrong? This is what I see when I open your drawing:

Capture.PNG

The measurement I got for that line matched the dimension indicated. But I didn't know how wide the S. Saskatchewan River was, so I Googled it and Google told me that there's a bridge near St. Louis, Saskatchewan, that is 300 meters long. So I zoomed up to it and measured it:

Capture.PNG

Looks good to me.

Message 4 of 23
RONNIEJ
in reply to: jmartt

When I see what you posted it looks very correct. When you opened my DWG I assume there was no map there? 

I cannot get it to open the map in the correct place like you did. Do you mind telling me the steps you took to place that map? I assume I am overlooking something very simple and maybe its just one of those days lol. 

Your example with my line and measurements looks perfect

Message 5 of 23
jmartt

Shoot. I'm gonna look stupid here bc I don't know how to turn this thing on/off. I can turn off the maps, but if I didn't have this widget or whatever at the bottom of my screen that can assign different projections I'm not sure how I'd get it back. 

But your drawing came with that projection. I didn't load it. I just turned on Bing up on the Geolocation tab on the ribbon.

Capture.PNG

Maybe you're not loading all the Map stuff when C3D starts?

Message 6 of 23
RONNIEJ

I did load the grid so it makes sense that it shows up on your screen like that. I was originally going do this

Clicking on insert

Set location

from map

Maybe that is the wrong way or like you said I don't have all the map stuff. I have had a great deal of issues with my civil 3d lately. 

How are you going about inserting the bing map?

Again, Thank you for your time and help

Message 7 of 23
jmartt

Do you have that widget (my terminology) at the bottom of your screen? Does it indicate your projection? Do you have a Geolocation tab on your ribbon?

Message 8 of 23
RONNIEJ

I use the MAPSTATUSBAR command and then type s for show to see the grid in bottom tool bar

Message 9 of 23
jmartt

Ah! That's how you turn that thing on/off. Good.

Does it say your projection? I think it should, since it did for me.

Do you have a Geolocation tab on the ribbon? If so, just turn on the map from there. If you don't have it, try to customize your CUI(?)

Message 10 of 23
RONNIEJ

geo location.PNG

Message 11 of 23
Mike.M.Carlson

Hi-

I seem to remember this being an issue in version 2016 Civil 3D.  There are prior Forum Posts on this.

To answer your very first Post question regarding how to orient your model space to say a known address, I would watch this helpful short video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzA9lOH2PmM&t=311s

However, it looks like you have your model space oriented correctly to the CS though, so to add the missing Geolocation Ribbon Tab, follow steps below:

TEST3.gif

Also, confirm coordinate system is set though..Geolocation tab won't appear unless a CS is assigned to drawing.

I hope this helps.

Michael M. Carlson
Senior Civil Designer
CADD Manager
AutoCAD Civil 3D Professional
AutoCAD Professional

Message 12 of 23
RONNIEJ
in reply to: Mike.M.Carlson

Ok, So I have the geolocation tab now. I found another video with a few more helpful hints. Link posted below. The problem now is that when I click on the MAP ARIEL it prompts me for an ARC. I have found another forum and believe there is supposed to be a hotfix for this. However the link is no longer working. I will attempt to find this hotfix and hopefully it solves all my issues. 

I really appreciate your guys time. I am new to all this and really enjoy the helpful autocad community

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKSl-P4EPbY

Message 13 of 23
jmartt

This doesn't help. It is an aside. But looking at the aerial photography near you, I think I've discovered where ALL the food comes from. Man, that's a lot of little farms!

Also looks a bit like modern art.

art.PNGSask.PNG

Actually, anywhere you look around there I find pleasing in like a mathematical sorta way. Check this out:

Sask.PNG

Pretty down south there. (I'm in Alaska.)

Message 14 of 23
Pointdump

Ronnie,

The Hotfix you mention is for 2015. Your problem with 2016 is not the same, no Hotfix needed, so it would be better for you to start a new thread. In your new thread please include information like your desired coordinate system and the data you are using. (survey points, linework, GIS, etc...) Posting your drawing would be even better.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 15 of 23
jmartt
in reply to: Pointdump

Dave,
I'm not sure what the hotfix mentioned does, actually, but isn't he just about there?

He's got the projection applied to the drawing correctly and has the Geolocation tab showing. There's just some disconnect with the command not being recognized, it seems. Ronnie, what happens if you type in GEOMAP on the command line?

...And he did post his drawing.
Message 16 of 23
Pointdump

Jeff,

"...And he did post his drawing."

Yes, you're right. I plead senility. I had several tabs open and I meant to post on <<<This Thread>>>.

Ronnie,

Please ignore my post. Brain failure.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 17 of 23
RONNIEJ

Sorry I have been away form this for a day or so. I really appreciate everyones input. 

Here is where I am at with it. 

Now my toolbar does show me my grid system and I do have geolocation working now. I got that far and then geolocation did not load any maps. I sorted through some other forums and got that fixed. 

If I use the NAD 83 (CSRS) UTM13n as I had originally posted no maps will show. However. If I change the Grid to some other random grid I get a map. I was just reading that there could be an issue with some Canadian grid systems but I don't accept that. There must be a way to fix it.DWG Sample 3.PNGDWG Sample2.PNG

Message 18 of 23
RONNIEJ

Jmartt

The area I was working in and need the map for is very Prairie. I live in Alberta, Canada but a lot of Provinces here are very flat and do have a lot of farm land. If you get into Western Alberta and British Columbia you get a lot of really amazing Mountain Terrain with some of the most beautiful places on earth. 

Message 19 of 23
Pointdump

Ronnie,

"...could be an issue with some Canadian grid systems..."

Yes. You'll need to add that CSRS Transformation to your Map Library. Follow instructions <<<Here>>>.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 20 of 23
RONNIEJ

SUCCESS! 

It is finally working. What a work around to get that fixed. I sure appreciate all the help. 

Is there a way to improve the quality of the image?Fixed.PNGfixed 2.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report