Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arc tangent to line and arc

105 REPLIES 105
SOLVED
Message 1 of 106
AllenJessup
30916 Views, 105 Replies

Arc tangent to line and arc

I thought this would be simple but I can't get it to work.

I'm trying to draw an arc that's tangent to a line at a specific point and tangent to an arc. I drew the line, started the arc command, hit enter to force the arc tangent to the line at the endpont and then tried to use a Tangent OSnap to hit tangent to the arc. This is what I got. Note the Tangent snap at the midpoint of the arc.

tan.PNG

If I accept the Tangent snap it does draw the new arc to the midpoint of the existing arc. Definitely not tangent.  Does this mean there is no solution? I think I'm missing something. I'm usually aiming for a set radius and have no trouble. This is kind of a Best Fit situation. The only criteria are that the new arc be tangent to the red line at the intersection with the yellow line and tangent to the red arc.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Tags (2)
105 REPLIES 105
Message 81 of 106
doni49
in reply to: AllenJessup

@AllenJessup wrote:

doni49 wrote:

When I used my lsp routine, and then do as you say, it produces a line that's "0.00000000001029" long.  When I use the graphical solution, I get a line that's "0.00000000000575".  So in my test case, the graphical solution was actually more accurate than the lisp routine version.

That's strange. Every time I use your Lisp I get zeros out to 14 places. Are you using Fillet to trim out the circle?

Allen

No I use TRIM (selecting the orig line and curve as the cutting elements).

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 82 of 106
AllenJessup
in reply to: mathewkol

Matt,

Took me a while to duplicate your process. It looks like it has to be drawn in the order of tangent first then curve.

Thank you.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 83 of 106
AllenJessup

I've done a little more testing and now see that the tangent osnap does not go to the midpoint of the Arc, The TAN Osnap hits the point where the Chord of the arc being drawn would be tangent to the destination arc. WHY?

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 84 of 106
doni49

It sounds like the osnap function doesn't take into account the type of object being drawn.  It assumes you're drawing a line -- in that case this WOULD be the correct location for the line.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 85 of 106
AllenJessup
in reply to: doni49

I swear I remember this working correctly in the way-back. I wish I had an old R12 (not 2012) AutoCAD to test it in.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 86 of 106
Joe-Bouza

More importantly the curve and the tangent have to be drawn in the same direction, and when drawing the free curve follow suit

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 87 of 106
Joe-Bouza

helping with the graphical solution evidently

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 88 of 106
nestly2

Low-tech solution...

Arc Tangent-Tangent.gif

Above can be done without any construction geometry by re-orienting the UCS, but I though this was the best way to demonstrate how the center is found.

Message 89 of 106
Neilw_05
in reply to: nestly2

Looks like you found another graphical solution. 1 kudo for you
Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 90 of 106
Anonymous

Thats impressive. I cant follow the geomtry as to why it makes sense. If you were kind enough I greatly appreciate it
Message 91 of 106
Neilw_05
in reply to: Anonymous

The 2 solutions are nearly identical, just constructed in a different way.

In the attached screen capture you can see the 2 solutions overlaid on each other. The line colors help to see the lines that correspond to each solution. The phantom lines represent the overlaid lines from the opposite solution.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 92 of 106
Neilw_05
in reply to: Neilw_05

After running a few more tests I can confirm the original solution is correct. There must have been an error in my geometry when I ran this first test. Likely I didn't place the copy of the line perpendicular to the tangent precisely on the center of the target arc.
WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 93 of 106
nestly2
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:
Thats impressive. I cant follow the geomtry as to why it makes sense. If you were kind enough I greatly appreciate it

Maybe this is more clear

Arc Tangent-Tangent2.gif

Message 94 of 106
Pointdump

Nestly2 (Is there a Nestly1?),

OK, now I'm even more impressed and confused. I haven't a clue how that works, or why. What constraints did you use to copy the circle over to the perpendicular construction line? And how do you make those cool GIF's?

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 95 of 106
nestly2
in reply to: Pointdump

Nestly2 (Is there a Nestly1?)

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I lost access to my original account.  😞

I haven't a clue how that works, or why. What constraints did you use to copy the circle over to the perpendicular construction line?

Copy the original circle/arc to the endpoint of the line, then move it's center to the intersection of it's perimeter and the perpendicular line. It is now tangent to the line at the endpoint of the line.  A line through the intersection of the two circles intersects the perpendicular (yellow) line at a point that is equal distance from both circles  (ie the centerpoint of the circle that will be tangent to both) 

Arc Tan-Tan3.gif

And how do you make those cool GIF's?

Camtasia Studio

Message 96 of 106
AllenJessup

Very good Nestly. This brings me back to compass and straight edge drafting. If I'd started thinking like a hand drafter or Surveyor I might have figured it out. But I kept trying to force the program to give me the answer. I still think it should without all this construction.

I haven't heard anything from Autodesk on the SR I opened regarding this. When I do. I'll post their answer.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 97 of 106
Pointdump

Nestly2,

Thank you. Makes perfect sense now.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 98 of 106
AllenJessup

After all this it's now been decided to hold the standard return curve radius on the curb and move the catch basin. Smiley Surprised A much better solution in my view. More expensive but better.

This thread was not a waste of time for me (and I hope others). I learned a lot and enjoyed exploring all the solutions.

BTW. The SR I opened on the subject on Nov 5th still has no reply. I don't know if I'm being ignored or Autodesk is confused. Or maybe just very busy at the moment.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 99 of 106
AllenJessup

I got a reply about the SR. It's being forwarded to the Development Team.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 100 of 106
Anonymous

Hi Allen

What was the SR for? the precision

IMHO this was one of the most elucidating threads on geometry. The graphic solutions are mint. I do have a like for the math solution but would most likely go graphical.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report