Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project member with View rights to be able to add markup to drawings.

Project member with View rights to be able to add markup to drawings.

Good day,

We desperately need our project members with View-only rights to be able to add markups to drawings / models.

At the moment, these members need Edit rights, to be able to add markups. But this also gives members access then, to add sub-folders, and even delete files within this specific folder. This does not make sense.

We issue drawings for comments to Designers or even die client. They just need to view it, and add a comment. but we don't want them to be able to delete files in this space, or even drawings / sub-folders (which the current settings does). it is crucial for us, to keep this folder "save" with only 1/2 users being able to add drawings for this review process, but close to 40 other users need to view it and add a comment.

With the current settings, all 42 users can add / delete files and add sub-folders, which does not allow us to use this feature at all.

We as an International company are growing our usage of DOCS significantly at the moment, and would really appreciate it, if the development team can look into this. As the above mentioned usage of folders, are crucial for our workflows, and to keep the integrity of our drawings/models issued for comments/checks/approval.

Thanks and regards,

53 Comments
jamie.sidford
Contributor

I strongly support this idea.  It makes no sense to limit commenting and marking up to those with edit permissions!

johan.cantryn
Collaborator

Implemented in the latest release

elna.vandermerwe
Contributor

@johan.cantryn , I also thought it was implemented, looked like that if one look at the new descriptions of the Permissions. But it still does not allow the project member to Publish their markup to the entire project team. We did test it with a few users.

jamie.sidford
Contributor

If you look in the updated help file it still shows that view only permissions allow for private markups and not public.

chad.carreon
Advocate

I agree with @elna.vandermerwe  that view-only access should be able to publish markup. In the current setup of BIM360 a user must be given a view and edit function in order to create public markup.

• View/Download + Upload + Edit: User/role/company may share their own documents with team members, view and edit any other documents in that folder, and publish markups. **watch out because "DELETE" function will also be allowed if this access was enabled
jcarwood
Contributor

This is essential for co-ordination. The whole point of mark-ups is to see where you're going wrong by everyone who can see your information.

rudy.desmedt
Participant

In previous communication with Autodesk they responded that there was difference between US and EU server concerning this topic. They also told me that it could be a workaround to put admin rights for 5 minutes and then back to view only. I have the impression that things were different at a certain moment, but now the markups are not working anymore when view only right.
PS: I work on US server (even when I am located in EU)

penny_yu
Autodesk

Thank you for the feedback. We will review this requirement. 

Best Regards

Penny Yu

BIM 360 Document management

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I've just checked - it doesn't work in Europe (?) and it's ultra important when we are talking about coordination between project members...

smcanultyV3HRS
Contributor

Hi,

Would it be possible to get an update on this issue from the development team? Or maybe a timeline on when this functionality will be added to BIM 360?  It is urgently required if you want people outside your organizations to utilize the markup tools on BIM 360 without having to risk giving them permissions they shouldn't have.

Regards

Sonny

MikeKm25
Enthusiast

Come on Autodesk, this is a low hanging fruit!!

There are clearly quite a few such quick-win opportunities for you to convert!!

This gets my vote

shaunfarrell5867
Enthusiast

This is essential, please implement, it is now on our Information Delivery Risk Register and will impact workflows as people will instead mark up off line and attach to an issue. This is unacceptable and is impacting uptake.

jcarwood
Contributor

Not having this could mean our Client's favour a different platform (Projectwise, Asite etc.) as collaboration is important to them.

shaunfarrell5867
Enthusiast

Agree, this has already been proposed.

BartDeMaesschalck
Contributor

I concur. It is a crucial feature. Everyone must be able to publish markups. Delete markups is another story.

I can imagine it's a hassle to split the access rights for markup creation and deletion but this should be the ultimate goal.

For now I prefer the ability to have everyone publish markups, even if this inculdes delete access.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm just looking through the permissions and it looks like this might have been updated. I've tested with the permissions as per the below screenshot but most of these only allow private markups and not published ones. Has anyone got any ideas?

Capture.JPG

nmcmanus
Participant

I concur, this should be a necessity so that project members from different roles can mark up those of different disciplines without being able to edit/delete files, sub-folders etc.  I can see that the permission descriptions are now written to suggest mark-ups are able to be made, but they're of no use to those who created the drawings if they're only private mark-ups.

Anonymous
Not applicable

We'd like to see this implemented. We need people to be able  to take part in a review without having edit rights that allow them to archive or rename things 

Anonymous
Not applicable

It has been almost 9 months since the issue was reported. Can we please get an update from the development team when is this going to be resolved? 

penny_yu
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report