Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project member with View rights to be able to add markup to drawings.

Project member with View rights to be able to add markup to drawings.

Good day,

We desperately need our project members with View-only rights to be able to add markups to drawings / models.

At the moment, these members need Edit rights, to be able to add markups. But this also gives members access then, to add sub-folders, and even delete files within this specific folder. This does not make sense.

We issue drawings for comments to Designers or even die client. They just need to view it, and add a comment. but we don't want them to be able to delete files in this space, or even drawings / sub-folders (which the current settings does). it is crucial for us, to keep this folder "save" with only 1/2 users being able to add drawings for this review process, but close to 40 other users need to view it and add a comment.

With the current settings, all 42 users can add / delete files and add sub-folders, which does not allow us to use this feature at all.

We as an International company are growing our usage of DOCS significantly at the moment, and would really appreciate it, if the development team can look into this. As the above mentioned usage of folders, are crucial for our workflows, and to keep the integrity of our drawings/models issued for comments/checks/approval.

Thanks and regards,

53 Comments
rolandga
Enthusiast

Thank you updating this in ACC but 90% of our projects are in BIM 360! Please allow in BIM 360 as well!

i went on a framewalk, marked up 52 pages, and nothing syncs to the server.  I AM the ADMIN.  I had no idea that my markups would automatically be classified as "private".  And i don't even see an option to change an existing markup to publish, apparently i have to click on the existing markup, and change it to publish, i have multiple markups on each page!  are you kidding me?  i can't even select all markups on a page?!  I dont even think that if i select publish at the begining its going to remember that option for the next markup?  Well that's silly.  where's the option to default it to always publish?  and why can't that be for all sheets?  I used BIM360 docs on the ipad because the files viewed quickly, and that was great, but the actual markups were painful.  having to create a cloud, then create an arrow, then create text, is ridiculous.  take a clue from Bluebeam, and make that ONE step.  And how about some **** directions on how to use the App?  i dont like randomly clicking on buttons and hoping i dont erase or delete my work.  

there's an option to "update"... what exactly am i updating?  is this going to the server?  or pulling from the server to my ipad?  why is does my only option to sync appear to be on a page by page basis.  did you read the part where i have 52 pages to sync?  

Kev_D
Collaborator

Please vote up this idea to improve Markup capabilities https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/bim-360-ideas/improved-markup-capabilities/idi-p/9587573

luke.coxon
Advocate

Don't hold your breath people. I created this idea.... 

' The world's best BIM360 Idea '

about the top voted idea not getting a response from Autodesk. 

It is now quickly gaining votes, which says it all.

Chad-Smith
Advisor

While it is great that this feature is available in ACC, it's somewhat meaningless when the entire markups feature in ACC is sooooo bad when compared to BIM 360's markups.

If Autodesk want companies to move up to ACC, then they first need to replace the ACC markups with BIM 360's markups.

shaun.r.clough
Enthusiast

Agree with Chad-Smith.  The ACC markup tool is light years behind the BIM 360 version and the BIM 360 markup tool is universes behind tools such as Bluebeam Revu and Adobe Acrobat.

Kev_D
Collaborator

They even removed the option to extract individual sheets from a combined PDF in the 'For the Field' section (formerly Plans). How is this beneficial "for the field"?. Now you have to markup a sheet in the set of 100 and then send the whole set in a Review. It boggles my mind why they make such ridiculous decisions. Do they not ask the AEC industry for their professional input?? 

Autodesk are like politicians..... they never listen to the people and make such nonsense decisions, but always talk a good talk. 🙄

Chad-Smith
Advisor

Autodesk, how is this Idea progressing for BIM 360?

With ACC lacking many critical BIM 360 features, very few of us have the ability to migrate up.

sean.tumelty
Participant

Is there any update on this??

SimonWhitbread
Enthusiast

@elna.vandermerwe A workaround for this until Autodesk implements this idea - or not - is to combine the mark-up with an Issue.

• The owner creates a private mark-up, and then creates an Issue assigned to themselves.
  • Screen capture the Issue and Mark-up, save
  • Attach image to Issue
  • Assign Issue to who ever needs it

Mark-up_Issue.png

chris_kim
Contributor

We need this in BIM 360. Who thinks giving folder/file edit permission to reviewers who just need to add some markups is a good idea? Since this idea/request was posted, Autodesk rebranded/redesigned BIM 360 and launched as ACC and renamed forge to Autodesk Platform Services in 3-year span. I don't think the priorities are set right.

stephen_whelan
Enthusiast

Hi @penny_yu, I'm just off a training call with our design team/client and they wanted to add mark-ups to our drawings and models in each others shared/published folders. It sounded like such a basic request! To get this to work in the demo I had to give everyone VUD+edit permissions for the whole folder. I would never want to give the whole team view, upload, download + edit permission to another teams folder for loads of reasons. View and Download max. Following this thread and another, this is a known issue since 2018. Can an update be provided? Our team have been very slow to move away from Bluebeam Studios to BIM 360 Docs mark-ups so after a project manager finally asked if the team could use this feature so we could keep everything on one system, its very disappointing to see the Mark-ups tool is not fit for purpose. Its back to Bluebeam Studio for future projects for now!

todd.nantais
Explorer

IS this STILL not implemented? Autodesk are finding every way to push customers away from their almost-useful tool. The current permission settings does not make sense for any customers.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report