Community
Bifrost Forum
Welcome to the Bifrost Forum. This is the place for artists using Bifrost to ask and answer questions, browse popular topics, and share knowledge about creating effects procedurally using Bifrost. You can also visit the Bifrost Community on AREA to download an array of ready-to-use graphs, read Bifrost news and updates, and find the latest tutorials.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

set instance geometry and bifrostgeotomaya

26 REPLIES 26
Message 1 of 27
Anonymous
4520 Views, 26 Replies

set instance geometry and bifrostgeotomaya

is there a way to connect a set instance geometry nodes output to a bifrostgeotomaya node? i wish to render particle instances in redshift

26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27
syracoj
in reply to: Anonymous

no there is not.

you would have to create an object replicator graph (which will place copies (not instances) of your input object at point locations) then connect that to the BifrostGeoToMaya node. Obviously you will lose out on performance and interaction benefits that instances offer.

Message 3 of 27
Anonymous
in reply to: syracoj

do you mind explaining how i would do that?  i would forever be greatful 😆

Message 4 of 27
syracoj

see attached video

Message 5 of 27
Anonymous

This looks like exactly what I need, however I need to get it working with mpm simulation rather than particles. How would I go about doing that?

Many thanks!

Message 6 of 27
syracoj

what kind of MPM simulation? MPM points (like from snow and sand)?

Message 7 of 27
Anonymous

Exactly yeah, from a source_mpm_sand node plugged into a simulate_mpm node in this case.

Message 8 of 27
syracoj

so the simulate_mpm node outputs an array of data. You can plug a first_in_array node after this and then use get_point_position compound to get the point positions of the mpm sand points. From there you should be able to use those point pos to replicate or instance objects onto.

Message 9 of 27
Anonymous

That's got it! Many thanks Syracoj!

Message 10 of 27
andrea_pinto82

If you use only position.

You can use a construct mesh from granular particles and use bifrostGeoToMaya to convert in maya mesh.

Then create a particle system with goal object.

Then create your instancer.

Message 11 of 27
andrea_pinto82

Or you can make an arrayMapper plugin with python and connect bifrost to particles.

Message 12 of 27
lee_bowitz

Hello i am also trying to get this too work but get confused with the first array onward.. could u help me out a little..  i tried all day to get it to work and failed..

Message 13 of 27

@andrea_pinto82Any chance I could have a gander at your custom plugin code?  I've been tasked with writing something similar and I'm quite new at the OpenMaya API

Message 14 of 27

Ciao, sorry for reply late. I hope this will be useful. 

Let me know.

Message 15 of 27

Hey @andrea_pinto82 I'm having a bit of trouble getting it to work. I got the plug-in loaded but I'm not sure how you are connecting it to the input Array Point on arrayMapperCustom from Bifrost output point_posistion1. The data types don't seem compatible. Also I see a for_each bifrost node doing something to the point_positions, but I can't see what is being done. 

I don't know much about nParticles node in Maya, where are you connecting the input geometry, like the cubes in your video? And which input is count connected to? Is it called max_count on nParticles shape? Thanks for any help!

Message 16 of 27
bugsdabunny
in reply to: bugsdabunny

Hey @andrea_pinto82 I was able to get some of it working, but not quite everything. In your video you have it dynamically changing the amount of total particles. How are you connecting it in the node editor? When I try I have to connect them all individually one by one... 

Message 17 of 27

https://vimeo.com/570404303

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=occxHiAzPKQ

I speeded up the video

Let me know 🙂

ciao

Message 18 of 27

Hi @andrea_pinto82, thanks so much for the video, it clears up a lot of things. The part that is not working for me is the part where you connect the whole Point Position array in the node editor, to your arrayMapperCustom node. In the node editor I cannot connect the whole attribute, just each one, one by one. I am not sure why yours will let you? Is it a special setting? When I click the top level plug then it just expands, doesn't let me connect, only one by one

It is at 1:30 in the youtube video https://youtu.be/occxHiAzPKQ?t=90

Message 19 of 27

I found your issue in maya 2020,  maya 2022 is different.

Try this scene.

let me know 🙂

Message 20 of 27

Perfect! It works, thanks so much, this is a game changer!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report