AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query multiple areas and polygons using By Location on Map in a Shapefile

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
rl_jackson
591 Views, 8 Replies

Query multiple areas and polygons using By Location on Map in a Shapefile

As the title says, I'm trying to query multiple areas on a map to get data from a shapefile for all the areas at once, this is basically small islands in the entire county where I need data. I'm not exactly sure what I need to place in the expression to have map draw the data in the areas. I've tried a + and a AND.

query.png

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Pointdump
in reply to: rl_jackson

Hi Rick,
It's probably the "Multiple" part that's causing problems. I had a similar problem >>>Here<<< and was lucky to have the Map Heavy Hitters weigh in.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 9
Pointdump

Rick,
Look at @ChicagoLooper 's post >>>Here<<<. I think that'll be just what you need.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 4 of 9
ChicagoLooper

@rl_jackson 
How may ‘islands’ do you wish to isolate? Dozens, hundreds or thousands?

Have you tried using that expression in your uploaded image in combination with CONCAT? The concat purpose is to run multiple expressions simultaneously and give multiple returns that are rolled into one. I’ve never tried multiple polygons but in theory it sounds like it would work. 

Chicagolooper
Message 5 of 9
rl_jackson
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

I have 7 rectangles or polygons that I'm trying to get the data on in on file that has the county parcel boundaries referenced in map. I've tried several different things but keep getting syntax issues. I would think this would be possible in theory as well.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 9
O_Eckmann

Hi @rl_jackson ,

I'm not sure to well understand but you can use OR to specify inside this polygone OR inside this other OR inside this other.

Olivier

Olivier Eckmann

EESignature

Message 7 of 9
rl_jackson
in reply to: O_Eckmann

I have 7 polygons lying within the county at various locations and want all the shape data to appear for each polygon location.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

EESignature

Message 8 of 9
rl_jackson
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

@ChicagoLooper

I did try the CONCAT expression, but it was looking for text. I could have the syntax wrong, just a small puzzle I'm working with on handling a lot of data, both GIS and conventional and aerial that will be added to the mix. I can get the underlying shape file in one area but not in all areas, and don't need all the parcel data for the entire county. I was trying to make this on file my GIS data file, then have others with field and aerial data. Perhaps I'll need to do them as individual pieces.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

EESignature

Message 9 of 9
ChicagoLooper

You can do it using FEATURE OVERLAY ANALYSIS. 

You have added a parcel shapefile to your map and want to isolate multiple neighborhoods or areas which you have defined by drawing polygons. You also want to retain the shapefile's data once the parcels have been isolated.

This video demonstrates how you can use FEATURE OVERLAY ANALYSIS. The procedure begins by exporting the polygons used to define the neighborhoods to shapefile format (this will be your OVERLAY). The parcel shapefile will be considered your SOURCE file. The analysis creates a new feature based on overlapping areas of the Source and Overlay layers. Non-overlapping areas are discarded. The analysis also retains both source and overlay attributes in the newly created feature.

To watch the video click >>HERE<<.

4C010997-6C5A-41D2-9221-388D23FEC736.jpeg

Chicagolooper

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

AutoCAD Beta