AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't open .SDF

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
smokiereesefreckles
458 Views, 7 Replies

Can't open .SDF

I have exported a .dwg file to .sdf and verified that it saved to my computer. However, when I try to open the .sdf file in Map3D I can't open the file type. I don't even have the option to change the file type I'm looking for to .sdf. Any ideas? The error it gives me is "Cannot find the specified drawing file. Please verify that the file exists."

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

@smokiereesefreckles  a écrit :

I have exported a .dwg file to .sdf and verified that it saved to my computer. However, when I try to open the .sdf file in Map3D I can't open the file type. I don't even have the option to change the file type I'm looking for to .sdf. Any ideas? The error it gives me is "Cannot find the specified drawing file. Please verify that the file exists."

Why to try to open with Autocad?

Make a new drawing and use MAPIMPORT for open a SDF file

Message 3 of 8

The SDF file is easily understood by Map3D. 

What ‘command’ are you using to ‘open’ your SDF?

Opening an SDF is not like opening a dwg, it’s a completely different type of file that requires a different procedure.

You can open an SDF using the Data Connect palette (MAPCONNECT). You should assign a coordinate system (MAPCSASSIGN)  to modelspace prior to adding adding the feature data object (or the SDF) so it plops down in the correct geospatial location. 

Would be possible to upload some screenshots that show where your workflow is failing you?

You can also look at your procedure used to make your SDF. If the procedure was done incorrectly, it’s possible no SDF was created in the first place.  

When you exported your dwg to SDF, did you export points, lines or polygons? Or did you export a combination? Typically, exporting one feature class is easy. Exporting more than one can be a delicate process. 

Chicagolooper
Message 4 of 8

I was able to figure it out, now just having a problem with joining the data from my excel file to the SDF. Could you help me to link the data table from my ODBC to the SDF connection?

Message 5 of 8

@smokiereesefreckles wrote

<<….now just having a problem with joining the data from my excel file to the SDF….>>

Is your Microsoft Office a 32- or 64-bit version (yes, it makes a difference). If you haven’t download and installed the correct ODBC driver for Excel and Access, then download and install it now. Without this driver you won’t be able to make connections to ‘external’ files such as Excel and Access. 

If you work for a firm with an IT Group let them figure out which one to download (there’s more than one) then ask them to install it (it’s tricky to install especially with protection software).

If you have already installed the driver but can’t connect, upload pictures showing the settings used on the external file, i.e., excel or access, and additional pictures showing your data connection settings in AutoCAD. 

FWIW AutoCAD makes you jump through hoops to install that driver Do you run Global Mapper? GM makes it super easy to perform JOINS and you don’t need any drivers either. 

Chicagolooper
Message 6 of 8

I have a 64-bit version and have the correct drivers. I have made an ODBC connection to my Excel file and it shows the data in the table. I have made the SDF connection and edited the schema, but all the data in the table shows null.

Message 7 of 8

@smokiereesefreckles wrote

<<….I have made the SDF connection and edited the schema, but all the data in the table shows null.>>

OK great, you already have the driver. Your issue(s) could be anything. The possibilities are wide open but it looks as though your SDF is not ‘connecting to’ your external file. Hence the null values. You aren't making a proper JOIN. 

What is your feature class? Points, lines or polygons? Or a combination of points, lines and polygons?

Explain the edits. What are the edits? How did you edit? Please upload screenshots? Lots and lots of screenshot. 

Chicagolooper
Message 8 of 8

Feature class is polygons. I have a dwg file as my base map which I have rows of data from my table connected to through a link template. I have the sdf version of that draw file above the dwg file and I want the data to show on the sdf table as equivalent to the dwg link table. Not really sure if it's necessary, but I am just trying to make it all interactive so that when I click on an object on my sdf it highlights in the data table and vice versa.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

AutoCAD Beta