AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem importing KML label into AutoCAD

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
GAURAV.KHODIYA_AGEL
4530 Views, 15 Replies

Problem importing KML label into AutoCAD

When i try to import kml into AutoCAD Map 3d 2020 points get imported but their labels are not imported.

Name attribute is not visible (Screenshot attached)

Labels (2)
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Gaurav,
Welcome to the Autodesk Forums.
Can you post your KML? (Zip first)
A couple of things to try. Under Data click the ellipsis to the right of <none> and check the radio button that says "Create object data".
Click on "Driver Options" and see if anything needs to be turned on. It's usually greyed out with most SHP Imports, and yours is not.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 16
braudpat
in reply to: Pointdump

Hello @GAURAV.KHODIYA_AGEL 

+1 with @Pointdump 

Please look at the French joined Image of MAPIMPORT ...

THE HEALTH, Regards, Patrice

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 4 of 16

Dear Dave,

Thanks for your valuable inputs.

I have tried Data Option & Creating Object but no fields can be seen (Ref. Attached Image 1)

Secondly i even tried Driver Option but no relevant options were found (Ref. Attached Image 2)

I have imported label from shapefile, but guess importing kml with label is tricky.

I am attaching KML in zipped format for your reference. 

Gaurav

Message 5 of 16

Hello @GAURAV.KHODIYA_AGEL 

SORRY but your KMZ / KML is empty ! There are only 6 XY Points with "almost" ZERO Data !

Please look at the 2 Images : MAPIMPORT from ACAD MAP and the QGIS Image ...

If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 6 of 16
braudpat
in reply to: braudpat

Hello

Into QGIS you can see A1/A2/A3/A4/A5/A6 Infos so from QGIS 3.10 , I have exported the KML/KMZ to SHP ...

AND NOW you can MAPIMPORT my SHP ... And get the A1/A2/A3/A4/A5/A6 Infos ...

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 7 of 16

Dear Patrice

Thanks for your prompt and very informative response.

The issue i am facing is when i try to import KML with label into AutoCAD Map 3d, with shapefile as you have mentioned in your reply it can be done. And I dont have access to ArcGIS or QGIS software.

In GIS software we get Name attribute field which contains label data but in AutoCAD it is not available (ref Attached Image 22) 

Is there anyway this can be done solely using AutoCAD Map 3d

Regards

Gaurav

Message 8 of 16

Hello

I think you have to use a freeware (QGIS or other) to convert your KML/KMZ to Shape files ...

Then the AutoCAD MAP MAPIMPORT from Shape will be OK !

Maybe somebody else will have a brillant idea !?

Nice polygon of about 70 231 square meters ...

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 9 of 16

Your kmz consists of six points in Bhojay. The points are named A1 through A6. You would like to use MAPIMPORT to bring in the points and label them with their point name. 

You can’t use Mapimport in Map3D to bring in kmz’s (or kml’s) with their point names. The Mapimport command will not ‘read’ the kmz’s (Placemark) data so  it’ll just bring the the geometry, or the point itself. 

To bring the points in along with their point names you’ll need to use third party software (not Goggle Earth Pro) and re-create your six points in another format such as shapefile. Alternatively, you may bring your kmz into a third party software and export your kmz file to shapefile.

<<QGIS, ArcMap, Arc Pro, Global Mapper are some examples of third party software.)>>

Mapimport has the option to retain the shapefile’s attribute data by converting it to Map3D’s Object Data. In addition to using Mapimport, you may also bring in the shapefile using M3D’s Data Connection and label the points using the shapefile’s Name attribute

Kmz and kml formats have limited options when executing Mapimport in M3D. 

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 10 of 16

There is a FDO Provider to import the names, etc of kml or kmz files here:

http://www.sl-king.com/fdokml/download/download.html

But I wrote the author and he wont be making a new provider for newer autocad version anytime soon.

It is available free for acad map 3d versions 2013 and earlier.

I've also searched for other FDO providers for newer versions of acad on the web but so far no luck.

KT

Message 11 of 16

You can MAPIMPORT points with label==kml_name from kml/kmz.

1. To create the point block with the attribute which is called "kml_name". The case in the name is important! When creating a block, you need to change to small letters twice.
2. With MAPIMPORT, you must go to Driver Options, press "+" at Shema Attributes and click "..." - enable kml_name.

kml_name.png

3. For Placemark (your points), select the newly created block instead of <ACAD_POINT> and load attributes.

kml_name_attr.png

Note 1: You can immediately attach to the points Object Data (see the Data column) where the points names will be stored.

kml_name_dwg.png
Note 2: Settings can be saved in Saved profiles in * .ipf.

Note 3: For some reason, kmz for me is not imported into 2019, if a coordinate transformation is needed.

-- Alexander, private person, pacifist, english only with translator 🙂 --

Object-modeling _ odclass-odedit.com _ Help

Message 12 of 16

Alexander,

Very nice! Thanks man!

Message 13 of 16

Very helpful - thank you!
Message 14 of 16

@АлексЮстасу 

Great information.
Thank you.

Message 15 of 16
jdefisher
in reply to: Pointdump

This helped me get 50 kml_name labels from their corresponding placemarks into CAD! Thank you! 

jdefisher_2-1715714905524.png

jdefisher_3-1715714940150.png

jdefisher_4-1715714981992.png

jdefisher_6-1715715202624.png

jdefisher_7-1715715263964.png

jdefisher_5-1715715077396.png

Message 16 of 16

Thank you, Alexander, for The Great solution.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report