AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Map 3d - Add map features to CAD objects

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
3125 Views, 12 Replies

Map 3d - Add map features to CAD objects

I have a CAD file with blocks, hatches, polylines etc.  I would like to attach a SHP file as a map feature and apply the feature properties to the CAD objects.  Is there a way to achieve this? 

What I am currently doing is using the MAPIMPORT command to bring in the shape file as a polyine and using the COPYOD lsp to copy the object data from the shape file to the objects.  But for larger files it proves to be very time consuming. 

Thanks!

Tags (2)
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
parkr4st
in reply to: Anonymous

Do you have a drawing or a map?  A map has is geo-referenced, a drawing is not.

Can you map export all the other items, blocks, lines, etc. to FDO files with data?

Do you need to work with CAD objects or can you work with FDO data?

dave

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: parkr4st

Thanks for your reply!

I have 2 files 1 is a shp file that I use the data connection to create a map, the second is a CAD file that contains blocks, hatches, polylines etc.  I can mapexport all of the cad objects to a shp file.  Should I think open a new file and attach both as maps?  How would I go about attaching the data from the shp features to the linework exported?

Message 4 of 13
parkr4st

if the data overlaps you may be able to use overly analysis to get the data together.  Can you post a few items from each data set that overlap?

dave

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous

Sorry I didn't address it earlier, I can work with FDO objects they don't need to be CAD objects.  The point of this exercise is to get data we have in GIS and apply them to objects in CAD drawings so we can maintain a data store of cad objects and their properties & locations using common GIS coordinates.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous

Sorry I am coming from a drafting/engineering background and don't have much experience using this flavor of AutoCAD or working with maps.  Can you clarify how I should post data that overlap?  

Message 7 of 13
АлексЮстасу

Can you attach examples, screenshots, or the like?

-- Alexander, private person, pacifist, english only with translator 🙂 --

Object-modeling _ odclass-odedit.com _ Help

Message 8 of 13

Thanks for the attached "Like"!  Smiley LOL
Can you attach examples, screenshots, or etc.?

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: АлексЮстасу

So using overlay analysis I am able to add the data I want to the CAD line work, the only issue I'm having is that I cannot use grips to manually adjust the geometry of some of the shapes to include all of the sections I need. 

Capture.PNG

The light blue has the GIS data I want to add to the green line work map made from a CAD drawing.  The right side of the green is outside the light blue polygon and does not get the data.  When I try to adjust the light blue polygon by the grips it does not let me.  Any tips for this?

Message 10 of 13
ChicagoLooper

Your explanation is confusing. You are using MAPIMPORT command to bring in (or import) shapefile features. During the import procedure you convert the shapefile into into Cad entities. The Cad line work does not have any attribute data like the shapefile. Is that correct? Would you like the Cad line work to have the same tabular data like the shapefile? If the newly imported Cad entities had data exactly like the shapefile would that satisfy your needs?

Or is it something else? Would you like to copy the data 'structure' of the shapefile, then attach that structure to existing Cad entities in your drawing then fill in the data yourself? Is that it?

Please explain thoroughly.

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 11 of 13

I also think that the essence of the question may not be in the import, not in the shapefiles, and not even in the addition of feature to CAD objects. And, for example, in how to select some objects (green lines), which are located next to other objects (cyan lines). What is solved, probably, with the help of buffering and queries, or with the help of search tools regarding lines.

This image alone is obviously not enough to understand the question.

Message 12 of 13

It is confusing.  Your green and blue example is correct.  Where the location of  blue and green have nothing geographically in common the data is not applicable to the line outside the polygon with analysis.  However your data table can be edited manually for objects not in the analysis result.  the line can be added and the data entered.

My suggestion will work only if the data geographically overlaps. 

OP.  If you can, zip and post the data in the attachments to a reply and we can probably work out a solution. without the data, it foggy.

dave

Message 13 of 13
Anonymous

So sorry everyone for being a poor communicator.  The large picture view of what I'm trying to accomplish is to catalog and create a database of assets tying objects drafted in CAD to maps created in GIS.  I want to link the CAD drawings of the assets to their geographical coordinates.  Our Asset Management team have created LINK/NODE id's in GIS.  I'd like to bring their shape files in with this data and apply it broadly to the objects in our CAD file in such a way the data can be extracted and queried using the LINK/NODE id from a database.  

The framework you guys have helped me with has been a tremendous help.  I am not sure I can attach files  I'd have to ask management.  The overlay analysis has been extremely helpful I am going to request a new shape or a larger buffer.  I will mark this solved for now, but if I have any questions later do you mind if I send some of you a PM?

Thanks so much everyone this is a very helpful community!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report