AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there the correct way to import points from google Earth as the KLM file?

25 REPLIES 25
SOLVED
Message 1 of 26
Anonymous
7604 Views, 25 Replies

Is there the correct way to import points from google Earth as the KLM file?

Hey All,

I'm not a surveyor or experienced AutoCAD Map 3D user, but really need your assistance. I have read a lot of post on this forum and seems like I could not find the solution to the problem.

I have been working on the project where I have a data(few points from the Google Earth) and I'm trying to import to the CAD, but have no luck. All my points end up 100 feet away and all of them really close to each other(scale down). I set all the drawing units in meters, the GIS system I'm using is WORLD-MERCATOR, REF. IS wgs84, unit is meter, EPGS CODE IS 3395. when I import KLM file I'm selecting the same GIS coordination system and the same units.

Please Help!

25 REPLIES 25
Message 21 of 26

If you only need WGS84 ( = LL84) in Map 3D, i.e. you need coordinates that correspond to the latitude-longitude values in WGS84, it is not necessary to assign a coordinate system.
AutoCAD coordinates will be equal to the latitude-longitude values in WGS84.
But it is better to specify the LL84 code, and then more actions will be available to you. For example, you can enter latitude-longitude from the command line: 'll. It will be possible to view coordinates in several coordinate systems at once in MAPTRACKCS. You can attach rasters and dwg made in other coordinate systems. It will be possible to transform to other coordinate systems. Can export MAPEXPORT to other CSs.
The CS assignment will not mess up your dwg for any AutoCAD.

-- Alexander, private person, pacifist, english only with translator 🙂 --

Object-modeling _ odclass-odedit.com _ Help

Message 22 of 26

Thanks a lot!! for examplo, I recieved a project in Autocad with location in Germany but when I try to export it to .kmz it exports in another world place. How can I export that project with the correct coordinate system. I mean, is it possible to see the coordinate system properties form the dwg file? 

Message 23 of 26

In AutoCAD Map 3D (and Civil), the coordinate system is defined by its assignment. Otherwise, it is just a regular AutoCAD drawing in a mathematical rectangular system.

And MAPEXPORT will take the notional Germany to Antarctica or so on.
You need to find out in which coordinate system the plan/map is made and assign that CS in MAPCSASSIGN.
Then the chances will appear. 🙂

-- Alexander, private person, pacifist, english only with translator 🙂 --

Object-modeling _ odclass-odedit.com _ Help

Message 24 of 26

Im still trying but somehow I dont get it, maybe you please can help me a litte more?

to export as kmz, should I change those options? 

AndresFelipe_GonzalezGil_0-1717507594757.png

here beginnt my problem, wich coordinate system shall I choose? 

AndresFelipe_GonzalezGil_1-1717507696028.png

for the same CS from Google Earth would be the LL84?

AndresFelipe_GonzalezGil_2-1717507835809.png

What I want ist to see in Autocad (with world map as background) the same information (and same scale) like in Google Earth, but when I load the map in Autocad I dont get the same coordinates as in Google earth ever if I use the same CS as you explain me.

As result I get the project with another scale and another coordinates, even using the same CS. 

AndresFelipe_GonzalezGil_3-1717508388445.png

Message 25 of 26

Hi @Andres-Felipe_Gonzalez-Gil 

<<...is it possible to see the coordinate system properties form the dwg file?>>

Yes. It's possible. You can enter MAPCSASSIGN on the command line. For example, if your site is in Berlin AND the original author has assigned UTM84-13N, then you'll get this after entering MAPCSASSIGN:

1. Your site is in Berlin and the author assigned UTM-33N.1. Your site is in Berlin and the author assigned UTM-33N.

If the author did NOT assign a coordinate system then MAPCSASSIGN will look different. It will look like this.

2. The author did NOT assign a coordinate system.2. The author did NOT assign a coordinate system.

If there's no assigned coordinate system assigned, you'll need to investigate. Two reasons why you need to investigate.

1. You'll need to (1) move, (2) scale, and (3) rotate the line work so it's properly georeferenced. May have to do all 3 or just a combination of two of them. Or do just one. If the original author did not draw in a geospatial environment, then you must assign a Coordinate System then move, scale, and rotate the line work to its proper location. OR......you may also use the method described below. (See steps a through e.)
  2. You'll need  to turn on (or assign) a coordinate system to modelspace. It might already be drawn with a geospatial properties but someone has turned off or removed the assigned coordinate system.  You'll need to turn on or re-assign the coordinate system so it can be returned to a drawing with geospatial properties. In this case you do NOT need to move, scale or rotate. You DO need to investigate which coordinate system the author used, then turn it back on. Determining which CS the author used might be (or might not be) easy.

To make your line work geospatial, you can do this:

1. Open a clean, brand new metric template. Enter MAPCSASSIGN on command line=>In the Search Box enter UTM84-34N=>select UTM84-34N=>click Assign button. <<The coordinate system you search/choose may vary.>> Name this drawing New Map.dwg.
  2. Zoom-out until you see a red geomarker (it looks like a red bicycle wheel with red spokes).
  3. Go to Geolocation Tab=>Online Map Panel=>change Map Off to Map Hybrid (The Bing logo will appear in lower right corner of modelspace when you're connected to the Bing server.)
  4. Zoom-in on Bing aerial imagery. Pan and zoom to your site using the labels in Bing Hybrid as your guide. 
  5. Cut-and-paste....CUT the line work from the original drawing then PASTE it into New Map.dwg.

3. Red geomarker and Bing logo.3. Red geomarker and Bing logo.

New Map.dwg is properly georeferenced. 

Chicagolooper
Message 26 of 26

Thanks a lot buddy!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report