AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export object data to excel

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
sthompson1021
487 Views, 4 Replies

Export object data to excel

I have received a drawing with a block in it that has data attached to it. I can see the data in properties but cannot figure out how to export to excel. I'm new to Map 3D so any help would be appreciated. I've attached a drawing with one of the blocks in it.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Hi @sthompson1021 

Thank you for uploading your block.

BTW, it would be helpful if you could explain WHY you need to export it to excel. I'm guessing you merely need to VIEW the data (you can easily see the data on your monitor) not necessarily see the data sitting in a spreadsheet. As always, the REAL value is gained when you feed data into Map3D, analyze it, then create points, lines and/or polygons to present the data in graphic form such as maps.

If you must create a spreadsheet, create a shapefile first. Unlike plain vanilla entities, a shapefile can, and will, STORE data inside the objects. You can access this STORED data and save it in organized tabular form.

First, use the MAPEXPORT command to create a shapefile. Name the shapefile OD_Block and save if in your project folder. <<FYI, when executing MapExport, all blocks are considered to be POINT objects, no exceptions.>> Next, do this:

1.  On the Selection tab, do this. <<Your drawing only had one block or one building. If you have more than one, you must select ALL the buildings.>>
  2. On the Data tab=>Select attributes=>Expand Object Data=>Check the box named Address Points=>OK <<Your Object Data will be captured and displayed in the columns named Source Field and Output Field.>>
  3. On Options tab, click OK. <<You didn't have a projection so your shapefile will NOT have geospatial accuracy.>>
  4. Go to your project folder=>CLICK-and-DRAG the newly created shapefile named OD_Block from its Windows folder and DROP it directly onto a 'Blank' area of modelspace. Zoom extents to see the point(s) of the new shapefile.
  5. Open the Map Task Pane if it's not already open. <<To open it, use MAPWSPACE=>type in 'ON' on the command line.>> On the Display Manager tab of the Task Pane=>highlight OD_Block so it's blue=>Click Table to display Table View=>Highlight ALL rows in the Table=>Options dropdown=>Export to CSV format. <<Name and save this new csv in your project folder. You may now open the csv in Excel and save to xlsx extension.>>

Step-1Step-1

Step-2Step-2

Step-3Step-3

Step-4Step-4

Step-5Step-5

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
braudpat
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

Hello @sthompson1021 

1) Thanks for the beautiful answer of Mr @ChicagoLooper 

2) When I want to export ACAD Properties or export OD (Object Data) to CSV Files, I used a beautiful routine from CADaSchtroumpf / Bruno / Bonuscad - Routine "OD&PROP2CSV"

3) THANKS to @CADaSchtroumpf 

The Health, Bye, Patrice (The Old French EE Froggy)

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 4 of 5

First off, your directions were perfect. Very easy to follow and worked great. Thank you!

The reason I need to export to excel is that I have to provide address lists for area's we are working in including Lat and Long info. Everything I need is in the object data for the blocks. With this process I can get the lists fairly easily.

Again, thanks for taking the time for walking me thru it.

Message 5 of 5
sthompson1021
in reply to: braudpat

Hi Pat,

I tried the lisp you attached but I kept getting an error message. I was able to do it with ChicagoLooper's instructions 

so all worked out. Thanks for the reply thou. I have tucked away some of the other lisp routines that you have posted

and they work great.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report