Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I need to double click my selection to trim/extend? (select all active)

25 REPLIES 25
SOLVED
Message 1 of 26
Anonymous
4877 Views, 25 Replies

Why do I need to double click my selection to trim/extend? (select all active)

Using the AutoCAD 2020 LT trial, while I wait on my company to re-do the subscription.  Previously used LT versions 2017, 2018, 2019.

When I trim/extend (select all) I now still have to select the object to extend or trim and then click again to have it trim or extend.  Previously I would only need to select the object if I wasn't doing select all, while with select all active I would just need to click once and it would trim or extend to the next nearest intersection.

Similarly if I select two items to fillet I then need to confirm the selection by pressing enter/return for it to complete the fillet, whereas previously I would only need to select the two objects and it would complete the fillet.

I'm presuming both are a similar solution as they appear to be waiting on a confirmation of sorts to carry out my actions.  Can I change this to how it was in previous versions?

25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

TRIM and EXTEND command work that way only if you hit <enter> twice after you start either command: did someone edit your buttons in the older versions to do it for you?

Message 3 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

No, i'm the only one with access to the program in my company - no-one else has touched it.

i've never had to select the line when 'select all' is active

Message 4 of 26
pendean

Then perhaps we are not talking about the same thing: in LT2019 and LT2020 here <select all>requires someone to tap <enter> button on the keyboard to activate.

What am I missing from your description to repeat what you wrote?

Message 5 of 26
imadHabash

there is some thing wrong in how Fillet,Trim and Extend are execute ?!! how about trying to reset the application to default settings . >> Click <<

Message 6 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: imadHabash

Ok, I have select all active - as stated in the title.  The application is at default settings as it's just been installed.

I type EX or TR and press enter twice to activate the select all mode - however for some reason when I click on a line to trim or extend to the nearest intersection it doesn't do that, it just selects the line.  I then need to click the line again (i.e. second/double click) to get it to trim or extend.  This is not how it's been in any of the previous versions I've used, all of which have only been installed on my machine and no-one else has set them up or even used the program.

What I have noticed however is that the two clicks are not required when I use shift (i.e. to trim with extend or vice versa), but that's just as awkward to remember to do.

Message 7 of 26
pendean

>>>...I type EX or TR and press enter twice to activate the select all mode ...<<<
That's how they work here in AutoCAD/LT 2020, 2019 and 2017 that I have installed on my PC.

Did you try another keyboard?
Did you try to slowly and deliberately strike <enter> twice to see if it is just s sticky or insensitive button?
Are you using a wireless keyboard?
Message 8 of 26
cadffm

Thats how the command works since years, also in 2020.

>"- however for some reason when I click on a line to trim or extend to the nearest intersection it doesn't do that, it just selects the line."

Then the first or the second ENTER failed before, it is not a problem of the trim/extend command.

I am pretty sure, in case of that problem you will nor the the command prompt to select the extend- or the trim- object,

you will see the command prompt edge-selection as last prompt.

If so, the first or second enter failed.

>"I type EX or TR and press enter twice to activate the select all mode"

- Sebastian -
Message 9 of 26
Anonymous

@pendean wrote:
>>>...I type EX or TR and press enter twice to activate the select all mode ...<<<
That's how they work here in AutoCAD/LT 2020, 2019 and 2017 that I have installed on my PC.

OMG how hard is it to understand what I'm asking? You all seem to be focusing on the wrong part of the question - I know how to enter into 'select all' when using Trim or Extend.

I'm using select all, as i have stated.  I want to use select all... but the program is not responding as if I have select all active.  I know I do have it active because as I stated previously if I hold shift to do the inverse action it does it with one click - without me needing to select the line.

However in 2020 when select all is active I still need to select the line for some reason and then click AGAIN for it to trim or extend it - not select the line i'm trimming or extending TO, but the actual line I want trimmed or extended.

I type EX or TR - as with previous versions, press enter twice - as with previous versions, but when I click on a line to trim or extend it doesn't trim or extend, it just selects the line (highlights it blue).  I need to click again to have it trim or extend.

How do I make it so that with select all active I don't need that first click to select the line?

Sometimes it also causes problems, for example if I want to extend a line then trim another.  I would type EX press enter twice and extend the line, but because it's selected when I go to trim the other line by holding ****, it also trims the first line back. I can't deselect it without coming out of extend.

If I want to extend multiple lines the selection moves around the lines I'm extending.

Yes I've tried pressing the enter key deliberately and slowly. No I don't have a wireless keyboard

@cadffm wrote:

Then the first or the second ENTER failed before, it is not a problem of the trim/extend command.

No it didn't - as I said if i do the inverse (hold shift) it works correctly.

Message 10 of 26
steven-g

After type "tr" and pressing enter twice, what prompt do you see, you should be prompted (either command line or dynamic input - depends on what you use) to select an object to trim, do you see that prompt, and for me I also get a small red cross next to the pickbox as I hover over an object, can you post a screenshot as you hover over an object if you see something different?

Message 11 of 26
cadffm

Ok PX54

Now you have completely convinced me that something is really wrong >"No it didn't - as I said if i do the inverse (hold shift) it works correctly."

Since you can not repeat the problem but properly (it occurs only sometimes and for a proper investigation too rarely, right?)
I can not help. I do not know the problem.

Sorry, i'm out.
This is a case for adesks support, but under the circumstances, I have little hope that it will give insights.

GoodLuck

- Sebastian -
Message 12 of 26
pendean

Your <enter> twice is not registering. Did you try another keyboard yet? You did everything else except this.
Message 13 of 26
cadffm

@pendean 

If the <enter> twice is not registering.(same what i thought first),

then the other function by pressing [Shift] would also just select objects, but as he wrote: It is working.

Or are you not the same opinion?

- Sebastian -
Message 14 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: cadffm

@cadffm wrote:

@pendean 

If the <enter> twice is not registering.(same what i thought first),

then the other function by pressing [Shift] would also just select objects, but as he wrote: It is working.

Or are you not the same opinion?

There's nothing wrong with the keyboard - the presses are registering, the command line says i'm using Select All.

If the <enter> twice was not registering I would only be selecting objects but I'm not - As I keep saying, I click once it selects the object, I click twice it extends the object to the next intersection.  It wouldn't extend the line if enter was only pressed once.

Even if I wanted to select the specific objects;

A) I would still need to press enter again to actually trim or extend the objects, otherwise i would just be endlessly selecting objects without trimming or extending anything

B) I wouldn't be selecting the object I wanted to extend, I would be selecting the object I wanted to extend TO

Message 15 of 26
Anonymous

Ok, just tried to get some screenshots to explain the issue.  I've noticed that it only seems to occur when drawing over an image - it doesn't happen with a blank work space.

Also if I zoom after the first click (before it appears to have registered the extend/trim) it will complete the extend or trim also.  This is still weird though, because if I click ESC after the first click without doing anything else the line is not trimmed or extended - however if it was working correctly that wouldn't be the case, one click would trim or extend it and pressing ESC after that click would just exit trim/extend and leave you with the amended object.

Sorry if i was a bit sharp with anyone earlier, it's been a tough week - and we're only half way through.

Message 16 of 26
pendean

Thanks for the additional info: sadly, I am still unable to reproduce it here in LT2020 using those scenarios. The zoom and esc actions also tell me the double <enter> is not registering either.

How are you "doing" the double <enter> action exactly? Maybe that's something I am not doing here. If, and only if, you are using the keyboard button I still think you should get another one to test first.

Are you able to log into your PC as an all new admin-level user and see if the problem persists? This is the less painful method to start over with everything on your PC.

Message 17 of 26
steven-g

The additional information about images sounds a bit suspect, it could be a draw order issue (images won't trim but can be selected). You still haven't answered about the prompts you are seeing or whether you also see the red cross during hover (commandpreview=1). Maybe if you posted a dwg we could see if we can get the same issues with your drawing.

Message 18 of 26
Anonymous

@pendean wrote:
The zoom and esc actions also tell me the double <enter> is not registering either.

I can't understand how you can still think that, because as I've said it still works correctly.  It's not like it works sometimes but not others, I can type EX double press enter and have it work, until I'm over an image (without exiting out of extend) when it doesn't.  All in one motion not two separate times typing in EX and pressing enter.

@steven-g wrote:
(images won't trim but can be selected)

I'm not trying to trim an image, I'm drawing over an image and trimming the lines i'm drawing.

EX-TR Issue.png

It's after the final image that I either need to click on the line again to have it extend, or for some reason zoom (with the mouse wheel) which will also complete the extend.  Pressing ESC at this point will not extend the line.

Image 8 shows that there's a symbol next to the cursor when hovering over the line - which does look like a draw order symbol.

Message 19 of 26
Anonymous

Sorry, for some reason I can't edit the above post.

Regarding the symbol that appears next to the cursor when I hover over the line on top of the image; I've just noticed that it appears next to the cursor regardless of what command is active, and even when nothing is.

Message 20 of 26
cadffm

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost