Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Autocad LT for Electrical schematics

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
14473 Views, 4 Replies

Using Autocad LT for Electrical schematics

I’m looking for a simple to use drawing package that I can use for producing electrical schematics. The full Autocad Electrical software would not be cost effective for me as I don’t have to produce many drawings. Would Autocad LT do the job ? Is it possible to download Electrical symbols for LT ? 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
RobDraw
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 3 of 5
pendean

AutoCADLT is not designed to be a dedicated electrical design tool , it is just a general drafting toll (think paper/pen on a computer): it can do as little or as much as you are willing to invest in for time and effort.

Search the web for Electrical symbols/blocks you need, some are free some are not, or create your own: LT does not come with a library of symbols and Autodesk does not make the AutoCADELECTRICAL library available outside of that program.

Message 4 of 5
netbossg

I have done many, many electrical designs using AutoCAD LT. The largest project by size was a 17,000 seat 300,000 m2 stadium where I did all the onsite electrical working drawings, as-builts, new panel schedules, and to-from conduit and cable schedules, including over 800 feeders for electrical, fire, intercom, sound, data, telecom, etc. (The engineered drawings were a mess, with a great disparity between "to" and "from" feeder runs.) I would work with my new conduit and cable schedules, compare against the engineered drawings, correct the conduit size, wire size/count, if necessary, analyze the structural plans, find the best path, and draw it for the electricians. By the time I was done, I had pretty much redrawn all the electrical systems and many of the branch circuits. The finished AutoCAD LT product is identical to the output from the full version of AutoCAD using the Electrical tools. In LT there is no automation. There are no smart tools. There is no LISP. In LT, the process is definitely slower, but for the price, you can't beat it. If I had enough electrical design work, I would definitely use the "big guns," but for doing occasional electrical designs, I'm okay with the extra effort. Using LT, you have to pay attention and make sure you manually update all the different pieces of the project when you make changes. This is where the Electrical tools shine.
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

You can do it but there is varying levels of manual work required, and you can automate some of the stuff with Dynamic Blocks and using Fields. There is a lot of upfront work acquiring/creating those blocks, but then future projects are pretty quick.

I'm still struggling with smartly addressing my components by rung, in the event I have to move them.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators