Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trim function acting like erase function on autocad lt 2021 new download

85 REPLIES 85
SOLVED
Message 1 of 86
Anonymous
21338 Views, 85 Replies

trim function acting like erase function on autocad lt 2021 new download

i just downloaded and installed autocad lt 2021 and the trim function is acting like erase function??? 

85 REPLIES 85
Message 21 of 86
odupre
in reply to: Anonymous

change the "trimextendmode" to 0. This will correct it. I had the same problem and now it's fine.

Owen

Message 22 of 86
bbullock
in reply to: odupre

Thank you for the positive feedback. Thanks to Autodesk tech support the issues I was having have been rectified. I had to set "trimextendmode" to "0" as well as setting "Edgemode" to "0".

Message 23 of 86
RobDraw
in reply to: bbullock

@bbullock wrote:

I completely embrace technological change but if it isn't broken don't fix it.

So, they can't make things better if they aren't broken? Maybe you are new to this but it happens all the time.

@bbullock wrote:

Maybe consider not giving your opinion if you don't have valuable input.

That would be a matter of opinion as I feel my input is valuable.

Good luck with the updates!

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 24 of 86
Anonymous

Yes.  It is hard enough to find the time to update, then to find out that the rules for something you have done for 20 years with muscle memory has changed...

Message 25 of 86
RobDraw

How do you learn about new features that might be beneficial to your workflow? 

Rob

Message 26 of 86
husamcivil
in reply to: RobDraw

It really depends on time and more importantly money.
I use the AutoCAD LT product at the desk by key, I use very few of the icons.  When I am in the field, I have been able to configure AutoCAD for use on a tablet and become very efficient.  I am still trying to figure out how this will impact me as I fight bugs, dogs and the heat without the added agitation.
Thank you for your interest.
Message 27 of 86
Anonymous

Thank you for the help!

Much appreciated. 

Message 28 of 86
gdrogemuller
in reply to: steven-g

YAY ... so now I need to retrain my brain against the grain of how I've been using ACAD for 25 years.

Hey, lets replace steering wheels, with joysticks - new drivers will find it far more efficient and natural.

😕

Message 29 of 86
steven-g
in reply to: gdrogemuller

25 years ago there were no mobile phones (well not smaller than a suitcase), so presumably, you are still tied to a landline and a phone with a dial on it you have to turn with your finger (the turn with a finger description is just for the younger people here who use their fingers on touch screens on something called a smartphone). I'm certainly glad that the world does change, I started out in CAD with pencil and paper, now if I could just stop myself from using a razor blade to erase lines it would save me the trouble of having to buy a new screen every couple of months 🤣 

Message 30 of 86
RobDraw

Did you not see that you can get the old behavior back by changing a variable?

Rob

Message 31 of 86
RobDraw

CAD on paper with a pencil? CAD - Computer Aided Drafting

Rob

Message 32 of 86
gdrogemuller

Cheers for pointing that out, I missed the post "trimextendmode" setting.

Now I'm even more torn - do I use the new style for a while to see if it speeds things up (teaching an old dog new tricks), or set it back to original for ease of use ... ahhhhhggghhhh!

Message 33 of 86
RobDraw

Actually, I'm shocked that select all would be the default. I tired it early in my CAD career and did not like not knowing exactly what I was trimming to. At the time, I was doing inground pools and dealing with lots of arcs and odd angles so it was not conducive to being accurate with my trimming/extending. I've still got no use for it.

Rob

Message 34 of 86
LanceHayes5281

no-one is arguing against change! Just don't automatically incorporate it into the std command. make a new command. stop trying to fix what already works.

Message 35 of 86
RobDraw
in reply to: LanceHayes5281

You only need to change a setting to get the old behavior back. It's like flipping a switch. Is it that difficult to figure out? Set it, forget it, and move on.

Rob

Message 36 of 86
LanceHayes5281

Thanks for responding using a no-reply address!

It is difficult to figure out when it takes 30mins to sort through all of Autodesk's garbage and it is not made clear. Just say "set "EDGEMODE" variable to "1" instead of being sarcastic or judgemental in the forum!

Message 37 of 86
RobDraw

@LanceHayes5281 wrote:

Thanks for responding using a no-reply address!

You must be new to the forums. Welcome!

@LanceHayes5281 wrote:

It is difficult to figure out when it takes 30mins to sort through all of Autodesk's garbage and it is not made clear. Just say "set "EDGEMODE" variable to "1" instead of being sarcastic or judgemental in the forum!

30 minutes to scan a handful of posts? What do you want, someone to give you the answer on a silver platter? Sorry, not gonna do that.

Rob

Message 38 of 86
pendean

>>>...Thanks for responding using a no-reply address!...<<<
No one is replying to you by email: we are all posting on the forum website, it in turn sends you an email of the response(s) as they are posted. Now you know in case you never noticed in the 2+years you've been posting around here.

The new variable is actually TRIMEXTENDMODE (System Variable) https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-lt/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2021/ENU/Au...

If you'd like to tell Autodesk about your thoughts you can do so at this link (no one here is Autodesk, just end users like you) https://www.autodesk.com/company/contact-us/product-feedback

HTH

Message 39 of 86
rtate

I prefer to select the trim edges. TRIMEXTENDMODE set to 0 is by far my preferred method and is significantly faster than trying to hit specific parts and not hitting other parts and not trimming to the incorrect line and not doing a stupid process to get to where I can pick a specific line. 

Message 40 of 86
Anonymous

Thanks you so much for that piece of information. Like others this has been driving me crazy. 

Also along with some others I run a small business with tight client deadlines and don't have time to mess around trying to find solutions to things not working the way I am used to. 

The new auto trim made things more time consuming for me, not less.   It might seem like a good idea to those immersed in the minutiae of the programming software on day to day basis, but for us mere mortals I agree with others that if it aint broke don't fix it.

Best regards,

Trevor

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators