Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trim function acting like erase function on autocad lt 2021 new download

85 REPLIES 85
SOLVED
Message 1 of 86
Anonymous
22357 Views, 85 Replies

trim function acting like erase function on autocad lt 2021 new download

i just downloaded and installed autocad lt 2021 and the trim function is acting like erase function??? 

85 REPLIES 85
Message 2 of 86
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

sorry think I've figured it out it trims line automatic thanks

Message 3 of 86
Anonymous

How did you fix it?  Just downloaded 2021 and having the same issue. 

Message 4 of 86
steven-g

There is no 'fix' it is just the new way it works. When you start the trim command there is no need to preselect objects to trim too, the program now acts as though you have selected everything and will trim to the nearest place it detects.

Message 5 of 86
cadffm

and you have 2-click-FENCE selection default (2 Clicks)

or like a lasso (press and hold)

and trim can delete whole objects (if you have 3 Lines like a "H", trim can delete the middle line now!)

New Version, new and edited functions.

Learn more about your software, start here: [F1] New Features <Click!>

Sebastian

Message 6 of 86
mailS7RBL
in reply to: steven-g

@steven-g wrote:

There is no 'fix' it is just the new way it works. When you start the trim command there is no need to preselect objects to trim too, the program now acts as though you have selected everything and will trim to the nearest place it detects.

Really?  So there's no longer an issue when auto trimming to dashed lines?

I know in the past I've had ACAD lag/freeze when doing an auto trim to a dashed line. If I picked the dashed line 1st, then no problem.  But if the line I was trimming went through a gap in the dashed line and I did an auto trim, there were issues.

Message 7 of 86
steven-g
in reply to: mailS7RBL

@mailS7RBL wrote:

Really?  So there's no longer an issue when auto trimming to dashed lines?

Really even trims a dashed line back to another dashed line even when they both fall in the gap

Message 8 of 86
pendean
in reply to: steven-g

>>>...There is no 'fix' it is just the new way it works...<<<
So you all do know TRIM and EXTEND has always worked like this by simply adding another <enter> after activating those commands in 2020 and older, right?
All Autodesk has done is make it the default now: you can chose to continue with "standard" behavior if you all want to go back.
And keep track of your TRIMEDGES variable settings, usage explained in HELP.

So, to recap: what used to be an optional choice is now the default. The old way is still there. TRIMEXTENDMODE variable.

HTH

Message 9 of 86
mailS7RBL
in reply to: pendean

@pendean wrote:

So, to recap: what used to be an optional choice is now the default. The old way is still there. TRIMEXTENDMODE variable.

HTH

Thanks.  I do do the double-tap and would much rather have my crossing box.

Message 10 of 86
cadffm

@pendean wrote:

So you all do know TRIM and EXTEND has always worked like this by simply adding another <enter> after activating those commands in 2020 and older, right?

No It acts in many situation differently in the new quickmode!

Specially for Edgemode=1 Situations.

Sebastian

Message 11 of 86
pendean
in reply to: cadffm

I'm not seeing to much difference, but I have to say I've used this trim/extend method for the last few older AutoCAD versions so its not unusual for me.
Message 12 of 86
Tobias

It drives me crazy.
Why do they keep changing things - so you have to relearn how to do things you do automatically.

Is there a way of turning this new automatic stuff off?

Message 13 of 86
bbullock
in reply to: Tobias

I am going to have to agree that the trim and extend commands functioned fluidly before and it every mouse click was automatic. Now that the commands have been updated they trim partial lines segments etc. and are very cumbersome to use. Some things are better left alone. I would also much prefer to use the legacy version commands.

Message 14 of 86
pendean
in reply to: bbullock

Look up TRIMEXTENDMODE and EDGEMODE variables in 2021's HELP and see how to return to older usage methods.
Message 15 of 86
bbullock

Autodesk tech support just pointed me toward the EDGEMODE as well and that was the issue. It is working just like I expected it to now. Thanks for the heads-up though!

Message 16 of 86
Anonymous

I agree! does autodesk really think I have time to look this crap up when I have a job, deadline and boss/client to meet!!!!!!

Message 17 of 86
Tobias

Hello All

I am glad to see that I am not the only one who thinks that it is bad that Autodesk "breaks" the way we are used to work by changing defaults of well established commands. Have the same with the measure command.

I totally accept that some of the new behavior (not all) looks promising, but why not either put it into a new command or have the new behavior as the option which needs to be turned on.

Tobi

Message 18 of 86
RobDraw

For every one of you who don't like change, there are many more that have no problem with it and accept it as a part of advancing technology. If you don't like change, don't upgrade. If you are "forced" to upgrade, make yourself aware of new features before using.

Good luck!

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 19 of 86
pendean

>>>...think I have time to look this crap up when I have a job, deadline and boss/client to meet!...<<<
Then why did you upgrade? Actions have consequences, always. Try not to do that next time, it's the better approach.

Look up TRIMEXTENDMODE and EDGEMODE variables in 2021's HELP and see how to return to older usage methods.
Message 20 of 86
bbullock
in reply to: RobDraw

I completely embrace technological change but if it isn't broken don't fix it. Maybe consider not giving your opinion if you don't have valuable input.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report