Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offset tool

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
mark
1012 Views, 6 Replies

Offset tool

Does a system variable exist to enable the object you are offsetting to be the same colour as current rather than the colour of the original object from which you are offsetting?

Thanks for any advice or guidance.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
steven-g
in reply to: mark

It's built into the offset command, when you start the offset command look at the command line, you have an option to choose "Layer" which lets you pick either the "Source" layer or "Current" and it keeps that option untill you change it back

Message 3 of 7
rkmcswain

No sysvar AFAIK, but the option to do this, is part of the Offset command.
R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 4 of 7
mark
in reply to: steven-g

Thanks for that it's very useful to know. It doesn't however change the actual properties other than the physical layer the object is on - at least I can't seem to get it to anyhow. Thus if you have objects of a different colour on the same layer then the colour is retained as the source object.
Message 5 of 7
steven-g

Indeed that's not an option, but it may be possible if you use a macro

EDIT

^C^Coffset;\\\\e;setbylayer;l;;n;n;

This macro works, unfortunately, the offset command can be run with differing amounts of keystrokes so this macro only works if you pick an offset distance on screen, if you type a number it fails (and would need altering). But the SETBYLAYER command may well help, or maybe not.

Message 6 of 7
pendean

It is generally assumed your objects are all set to BYLAYER instead of having individual properties overrides.

Are you trying to maintain the source object's color/linetype in the offset-copy? or reset it all to "bylayer"?
Message 7 of 7
mark
in reply to: pendean

Hi
Thanks for the reply. I just want to maintain the colour of the offset to the current colour rather than have the colour of the original object being offset - even when they are on the same layer.
I see the work around of having separate layers for different colours as suggested previously but I just wanted to see if it was possible to do the above.
Regards

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report