Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No menus in AutoCAD LT 2014 running on Windows 8 - how can I get this resolved?

57 REPLIES 57
SOLVED
Message 22 of 58
Anonymous
1426 Views, 57 Replies

No menus in AutoCAD LT 2014 running on Windows 8 - how can I get this resolved?

The menus that were along the top of the LT window since I first installed the product years ago have now disappeared, rendering the product unusable. I need to get back to where I was on Monday or else my software is nothing more than an expensive space holder in my system.

I uninstalled LT and reinstalled it - no change.

So far - no response - is there another source of help at Autodesk? This is the first problem I have encountered that required support but it has stopped production and I really need to get an answer.

So - two questions - how do I get AutoCAD LT 2014 back to its original state, and if there is no answer for that, where else can I go to get some help on this issue. It is getting to be very frustrating and I need to get back to work.

57 REPLIES 57
Message 20 of 58
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

It has now been over 24 hours since my menus disappeared, I have uninstalled AutoCAD LT 2014 and reinstalled it, to no avail.

Surely there must be someone out there who can give me a hint or a starting point to reacquiring menu capability in AutoCAD - I am dead in the water here and I really need to get this resolved.

Is there a tutorial or some other online help that will give me step by step instructions on how to get, say, a draw menu embedded in the top of the application? Modify would be nice, too. Those two, and many others were there yesterday, but mysteriously disappeared. I need them back.

Message 21 of 58
hwalker

Are you talking about the RIBBON or the MENUBAR.

The caps are the commands you need to type at the command line

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 23 of 58
Anonymous
in reply to: hwalker

MENUBAR accepts two arguments - either a 1 or a 0. Neither changes what I am seeing.

I just loaded AutoCAD Classic and got a command line prompt and two vertical ribbon menus along either side of the main window. I was able to drag and drop them below the top line of the interface, the line that has an "A" on the far left.

While better, the icons in those bars are too small for me to use quickly and now I need to learn how to enlarge the size of them. Some reorganization would be nice too, but these are stop-gap measures - I really want to get LT back to how it looked on Monday.

Message 24 of 58
hwalker

Have you tried the DRAFTING AND ANNOTATION workspace?

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 25 of 58
Anonymous
in reply to: hwalker

Thanks for the suggestion - I have tried that, and while I can drag the DRAW menu, for example, off the ribbon and drop it on the top of the LT window, it just sits there - literally on top of the other commands, blocking out what is underneath it.

But the icons are the correct size, so that is a step in the right direction.

Message 26 of 58
Anonymous

Do I have to pay for support to get this issue resolved? Is there anyone at Autodesk who can answer that question for me? It's getting to the point that throwing money at the problem might be the next step - currently the software is worthless and I have to get it working, somehow.

Is this discussion monitored by an Autodesk employee? I need to get back up and running.

Message 27 of 58
rkmcswain

This is a peer-to-peer forum. We are not Autodesk.

Can you start by describing the problem, and what you've done to try and fix it?

Screenshots and/or a video of what's going on will help tremendously.

If you want to speak with someone directly, consult with your reseller or schedule a time for Autodesk Support to call you.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 28 of 58
Anonymous
in reply to: rkmcswain

No menus are visible.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled AutoCAD LT 2014.

I have tried using the Drafting and Annotation option.

I have dragged the draw menu from the ribbon on the side to the top - it overlies the command bars and does not integrate with them.

I have switched to AutoCAD Classic.

I have dragged individual command icons to the top bar - no good.

I have tried a number of other things too, but can't remember all of them in detail - after 36 hours of dealing with this I am getting a bit exasperated. I would prefer to be doing actual work rather than spending days trouble shooting.

I don't know how to take a screen shot, and once again, all it would show is an empty LT window. Not a lot of value in that. What would be more useful would be a screen shot of what it used to look like - those were the days, I tell ya!

Message 29 of 58
Anonymous

I clicked on that link and the first thing I noticed was a mismatch between the options - Product Help is no longer an option. So I selected "How to use your product" and what do you know - it circles back to the forums. Recursion error?

Message 30 of 58
rkmcswain

At the AutoCAD command prompt, type in the word MENUNAME, and press enter.
What does it return?

It should be something like:
C:\Users\<username>\appdata\roaming\autodesk\AutoCAD LT 2014\enu\support\acadlt

Message 31 of 58
Anonymous

It returns "Unknown command "MENUNAME".
Message 32 of 58
pendean

This user has 6+identical posts in this forum with many replies from many other users 😞
Message 33 of 58
pendean

Do this then sit on your hands and read the other 6+ posts you've littered all over here http://autode.sk/1TSyG4l

This forum is not Autodesk support.
Message 34 of 58
rkmcswain

Okay, let's try another way.

Options > Files tab > Customization Files > Main Customization File

options9n.png

Message 35 of 58
Anonymous

Okay, got that, it shows the path on my computer out to ...\autocad lt 2014\r20\enu\support\acadlt Now what?
Message 36 of 58
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Correct - and still no solution. I have been in contact with AutoDesk and my reseller, and it looks as if the subscription model of sales support, which I didn't like when I was in software sales and support, is now in place. I will deal with that once I get a quote, but for now I am trying to get LT back up and running. I am not "sitting on my hands", I am trying to restate the problem in a way that clarifies what I am seeing here. None of the previous responses have resolved the issue.
Message 37 of 58
pendean

No, I'm saying for you to sit on your hands and quit creating new posts for the same single problem. We are all Autodesk customers just like you and with 6+posts everyone trying to help you is starting from scratch instead of reading what you've already tried and moving on to new things to try.

You are only delaying and hurting yourself, I'm trying to get you to stop and let this forum help you out in one area from ALL the users here.

You alone are diluting the responses from the people that want to help you.
Message 38 of 58
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Fair enough - this is my first time needing this sort of thing, and I have no idea how it works.

Message 39 of 58
pendean

Good. Now stay with me right here, do not post anywhere else unless Autodesk gets in touch with you over the phone or something like that.

First, get all the LT2014 patches and updated from here and install them now. https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-lt/downloads?release=2014
If you don't know how, take your PC to a PC repair shop and pay someone to do it for you.

Second: we need to see a screenshot of your AutoCAD program open all the way. You get that by doing this https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots
If you don't know how, take your PC to a PC repair shop and pay someone to do it. There is no reason you cannot do this yourself.

Third: what's new, LT2014 or Windows8 or something else? What brought on this sudden change?
Message 40 of 58
matthew.d

Hi @Anonymous,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear about the issue. To clarify, did you possibly have any Windows updates, which occurred on your computer between now and Monday? Those could be possibly causing the trouble. You could also try resetting AutoCAD LT to its default settings, to see if your settings are causing this. Have you updated your graphics card driver recently? You could also use a system restore point on your settings to before Monday.

I wasn't able to find a case under this account, did you already submit one under a different email? I am happy to look into it if you can provide the case number.

Matt DiMichele
Autodesk Product Blogs | @ADSKCommunity Twitter

Likes are greatly appreciated. Everyone enjoys a thumbs up!

Please Accept As Solution if this resolves your issue, to help others benefit and locate it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report