Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing or referencing text

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
335 Views, 3 Replies

Importing or referencing text

Good afternoon- I need to provide architectural specifications (lots of text) on a sheet. In the past, using the full version of AutoCAD, I was able to reference-in a separate text file...I forget if it was a .doc, but something like that. I don't see this function in AutoCAD LT. Is it possible? I currently cut/paste, but would like an approach which is easier and less prone to error. Alternately, can anyone share with me another way to do this in AutoCAD LT? Any and all advice is appreciated, and thanks in advance for your help.
Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

"reference"? If you mean you inserted the object as an OLE, a Windows linking feature common to all programs, then INSERTOBJ command works the same in both AutoCAD versions.
If you did that copy/paste thing, PASTESPEC is the same in both variants as well.
Or if you copy/pasted from inside your MSWord document into an open MTEXT editor the same is true in both variants.

MTEXT command's editor can also import ASCII text files (TXT extension) if that was your other method, a feature of both variants of AutoCAD.

If however you used a vertical version of AutoCAD like ARCH or C3D, then those were probably unique abilities to those expensive variants.

Let us know which actions you remember from back in the day.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Dean- Thanks for the quick response! I honestly forget exactly how the AutoCAD information was linked w/ the outside source. Didn't do it very often, since specs at the old office were printed separately from the drawings. I was using the Architecture version. I tried the INSERTOBJ on a sample file and got the following in AutoCAD (see attached). Is there a way for AutoCAD to display the text within the .txt file? Ideally I've got master specs saved separately from the .dwg, and can pull them into the .dwg as required for each project. Sorry about the very basic questions, and thanks again for your help.
Message 4 of 4
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

OLE linking, from your description, is probably how you did it if you used core AutoCAD commands. Open you MSWord document, copy the equivalent of one page to the clipboard, go into AutoCAD, start PASTESPEC command, click on PASTE LINK option, then OK. Now you have a linked page. Repeat for every other page.

Here is an older thread on the topic with a good discussion about it all http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-2007-2008-2009/inserting-a-multi-page-word-doc-as-an-ole-objec...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators