Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to add multiple measurements together

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1690 Views, 6 Replies

How to add multiple measurements together

I figured out how to pass the attributes (specifically the measurement from a rotated dimension) of a block to an excel spreadsheet. I did this by converting each linear dimension I took into its own block and define consistent attribute tags throughout.

What I mean by consistent attribute tags is that I gave each block a tag for the dimension's measurement with the name "EEK". I then made an attribute extraction file (attached below) and called the ATTEXT command to pass the attributes to a '.txt' file. I then passed the text into excel and used a SUM function there to add my measurements.

Is there any way I can add the numbers for the measurements within AutoCAD LT?

Tags (3)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

Explain this in more detail please:
"...any way I can add the numbers for the measurements ..."

TIA

Message 3 of 7
steven-g

No not within LT, but you can get it fairly quickly using excel, using the "list" command in LT, select the dimensions and create the list then copy your command history (F2) or look at keeping a log file which is easy to acces. Paste the results into an excel sheet and use the split data to columns function to separate the x and y values (if your using LT it should be safe to ignore z)

Now filter the results just to show the "1st and 2nd extension defining points", from there you can use a simple formula to work out the distances for each set of points.

=SQRT(((B7-B8)^2)+((C7-C8)^2))

You should only place the formula once for each set of points, see the attached image that shows you the resultsDist.jpg 

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

I wasn't exactly accurate with the title, but I meant how could I add up the measurements associated with multiple linear dimensions

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: steven-g

The log file you're talking about is just a txt file with the command history pasted in right? Or is it something a little more involved?

Message 6 of 7
steven-g

@Anonymous wrote:

The log file you're talking about is just a txt file with the command history pasted in right? Or is it something a little more involved?

Correct, you need to turn it on in Autocad's options, and set a path that is easy to find, Autocad then creates a logfile for every drawing you open, and keeps a record of the complete command line history, it uses the drawing name followed by a series of numbers, giving a unique name everytime you open a drawing, just be aware this is a folder you should then regularly empty as it can quickly contain thousands of files. The other advantage is it gives you record of all the files you have opened over a given time period, great for keeping track of projects you have worked on for time sheets..

And yes it is just a txt file it has a .log extension but you can just change that to .txt or even .xls and it can be opened straight up with excel

Message 7 of 7
pendean

You need full AutoCAD and this little freebie to get it done in less than a minute each time https://sites.google.com/site/cadkits/home/adddim

Time is Money for most of us unless you have the time to cut/paste from the command history into an Excel then repeat every time you need that task.

Tick Tock Tick Tock Tick Tock 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators