Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eport to PDF Page Overrides

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
tpreston
2125 Views, 7 Replies

Eport to PDF Page Overrides

I have a layout tab that has a page setup set as current.  Page setup name is "Letter_Portrait"

"Letter_Portrait" is set to print on letter-sized paper, portrait orientation, 1:1 scale, to a network printer.  Printing this layout to the printer prints perfectly.

When I try to export to pdf using the EXPORTPDF command, the resulting pdf file that is created is clipped.  I then try same command, only this time use "Page Setup Override" and change the "Plot Scale" option to "Fit to Paper".  I would think that this would solve the clipped pdf file AutoCAD generates. But instead I get the same clipped image.

The only way I have found to get around this is to change the layout's Page Setup scale from 1:1 to "Fit to paper".  Shouldn't the PDF Page Setup Override accomplish this without having to change the layout's Page Setup?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
sthompson1021
in reply to: tpreston

Hi, the solution I found for this problem is to modify the DWG to PDF pc3 File. You can change the margins for the printable area and it will not clip the image anymore. With the plot window open, select DWG to PDF as the printer. Click on the properties tab and under user defined paper sizes, click on modify standard paper sizes. Select your letter size and change the margins. You may have to experiment a little to get it to center the plot. Hope this helps.

Message 3 of 8
tpreston
in reply to: sthompson1021

Here is what  I’ve found out so far.  My current layout tab is set to print to a network printer on 8.5x11 paper at 1:1 scale(capture1.jpg).  It prints out fine with no clipping.

I went into “Manage plotters”,  clicked on “Dwg to PDF.pc3” file, then to Device and Documents Settings tab.  Under “User-defined Paper Sizes & Calibration” I select “Custom Paper Sizes”.  I then add a Custom Paper Size starting from scratch. I set width to 8.5” and height to 11”.  I set all margins to 0.0. I then give it a name of “Letter”(capture2.jpg).

I go back to my layout tab and initiate EXPORTPDF.  Export is set to “Current layout”. Page setup is set to “Current”.  The resulting PDF is still clipped at the top

I initiate EXPORTPDF again.   This time I change the “page setup” to “Override” and then click on the “Page Setup Override” button which brings up the Override dialog box.  I notice that the Paper size listed is ANSI A(8.5 11 inches) not the Custom Paper Size “Letter” that I created(capture3.jpg). I change the Paper Size to “Letter” and then print the PDF(capture4.jpg).  Print is fine with no Clipping.

Next, instead of using the EXPORTPDF command, I initiate the PLOT command.  I change the plotter from my network printer to “DWG to PDF.pc3”.  Again, it brings up ANSI A(8.5 11 inches) as the page size(capture5.jpg).  I change paper size from ANSI to my custom Paper Size of “Letter”(capture6.jpg).  PDf print is fine with no clipping.  This seems to tell me that the “DWG to PDF.pc3” file is not saving my custom page setup “Letter” as the default page size.

I also found out that every time I use the EXPORTPDF command and always have to change the override settings from ANSI to Letter.  According to autocad help, override settings are supposed to stay set until autocad is closed(capture7.jpg.)

Any ideas?

Message 4 of 8
tpreston

Message 5 of 8
tpreston

Sorry, apparently I' limited to 3 attachments per post. here are the other attachments.

Message 6 of 8
sthompson1021

Hi, when I modified my pc3 file, I didn't create a custom paper size. I used the modify existing paper size tab and modified the ANSI expand B(11x17). It has stayed the way I set it since then. If the paper size comes up as ANSI A when you plot to PDF with a layout set as letter size, you could try to modify that paper size in the pc3 file.

Message 7 of 8
pendean

Sometimes PLOT is the better solution (since technically that is all you are doing anyway).

PDF has wider margins that laser printers: a reality that Adobe gas never changed. If PDF is critical to your production then your choices are either as you discovered or altering the default pages sizes as offered, or setting all your margin widths in all your printers to match the PDF defaults.

PS: "custom" sizes are meant for one off use unless you create a dedicated PC3 file for each size.
Message 8 of 8
tpreston
in reply to: pendean

Thanks for all responses.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report