Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD LT 2019 - Zoom in floating model space switches to paper space

25 REPLIES 25
SOLVED
Message 1 of 26
Anonymous
3862 Views, 25 Replies

AutoCAD LT 2019 - Zoom in floating model space switches to paper space

When I'm working in a floating model space window and zoom around, many times it switches to paper space.  This happens in both LT2017 & LT2019.  Is it just me?

Lowell McCormick

[ The subject line of this post has been edited for clarity by @handjonathan Original: Zoom in floating model space switches to paper space ]

25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26
steven-g
in reply to: Anonymous

What is a floating modelspace window. I can only imagine you mean a layout viewport? Can you repeat this behaviour through the same set of actions or is it only occasionally? I have certainly never had problems, usually you have to either deliberately use the pspace and mspace commands or double click inside or on the viewport border to get into modelspace.

Message 3 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: steven-g

Yes, an active viewport that is locked.  I double click inside the viewport to make it active and when zooming around it switches back to paper space.  I'm zooming in and out with a wireless MS mouse scroll wheel when it happens.  It happens a lot and isn't predictable.  Sometimes it happens in the middle of a command.  If it's not a widespread thing and common thing then it must be my setup.  I'll try a new mouse.

Lowell

Message 4 of 26
steven-g

With a locked viewport, double-click inside the viewport will just make the viewport active so that you can select objects in modelspace (you can't zoom the actual model) so again I can only see that you are zooming the layout the only way to 'nomally' get back to paperspace from an active viewport would be again the pspace command or double-click somewhere outside the viewport area, is that maybe what happens?

Message 5 of 26
Anonymous

So, your viewport is locked and you want to zoom in model space inside the viewport? I think it may be behaving normally. The point of locking the viewport is to keep from changing the viewport zoom and scale within the viewport. I don't think you can zoom and pan around inside of a locked viewport. You should unlock it if you want to change the view in the viewport. Hopefully, I'm understanding your question, if not, let me know. Double clicking in a locked viewport allows you to select and measure objects in model space, but if you do any zooming or panning AutoCAD will automatically switch to paper space to perform the zoom or pan and then should switch back to model space.

Message 6 of 26
pendean

Double-click on the viewport outline (or after you double-click inside a viewport start VPMAX command): I believe this is the feature you are looking for instead of your stated actions.

VPMIN command to get you back to paperpsace.

HTH
Message 7 of 26
steven-g

@Anonymous 

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't think you can zoom and pan around inside of a locked viewport

Yes you can, zooming and panning in a maximized viewport is possible even if the viewport is locked, going back to paperspace will still show the viewport as it was previously, and zooming and panning whilst a locked viewport is active will just result in you being able to zoom into certain details that are visible in that viewport.

@Anonymous wrote:

but if you do any zooming or panning AutoCAD will automatically switch to paper space to perform the zoom or pan and then should switch back to model space.

It shouldn't but this is what the OP is reporting as happening, do you have the same behaviour?

Message 8 of 26
Anonymous

The ability to maximize a viewport by double-clicking on the edge of the viewport is something I was unaware of. Thanks. I think what the op is talking about is activating the viewport by double-clicking inside of it. In that case, it would be normal for AutocAD to switch to paper space to perform the zoom or pan and then switch back. It sounds to me like that's what the op is experiencing.

Message 9 of 26
steven-g

?? By double clicking inside a locked viewport the viewport becomes active, but panning and zooming doesn't switch between paper and model, it just lets you pan and zoom around the paperspace area, but the viewport is still active the whole time you should see at the bottom of the screen that you are still in modelspace, your selection cursor is only visible whilst over the viewport, and when your mouse goes over the paperspace area the mouse cursor changes to become just a Windows arrow.

Message 10 of 26
Anonymous

Not that it matters, but yes, when I use the middle button to dynamic pan the ucs icon switches to paperspace while I'm panning. Same when I scroll in and out to zoom. It switches back to model space automatically, so it's not a problem.

Message 11 of 26
Anonymous

I'm in paper space and there is a viewport on the sheet.  I double click inside the viewport and it becomes active.  The little blue lock icon is lit at the bottom right of the screen so the active viewport is locked.  I can zoom in and out and edit my model in the active viewport.  At some point as I'm zooming in or out, it jumps back to the viewport being inactive and the little paper space triangle icon appears.  It's as if I double clicked outside the active box but I haven't.  I haven't been able to figure out what the trigger is.  It's been going on for 6 or 7 months now.  It might have started when Windows did a Win10 update back then.

Lowell McCormick

Message 12 of 26
pendean

>>>...as I'm zooming in or out, it jumps back to the viewport being inactive...<<<
Change your mouse if your muse driver does not have a "auto activate a window as I hover on it" option that you can turn off, and see if the problem persists.

There is not setting in AutoCAD for that, you are somehow clicking outside the viewport accidentally.

HTH
Message 13 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

That's impossible when I've zoomed in beyond the borders of the viewport.

Message 14 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

I will get a new mouse today and see if that fixes the problem.

Thanks,

Lowell McCormick

Message 15 of 26
RobDraw

Actually, when navigating within a locked viewport, AutoCAD does switch back and forth between paper and model space.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 16 of 26
pendean

Perhaps a video of you in AutoCAD/LT demonstrating the problem might help us here visualize the problem too: this freebie here from Autodesk is a good tool if you need one https://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-result/caas/simplecontent/content/download-autodesk-screencast...

Message 17 of 26
steven-g

Maybe we are looking at different things, but for me when I pan and zoom, then modelspace is still shown as active.

model.jpg

Message 18 of 26
RobDraw

I believe this is what the OP is referring to:

Switching to Paper Space.png

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 19 of 26
pendean
in reply to: RobDraw

OP seems to indicate they are actually moved to paperspace and out of the viewport, not just the reporting at the commandline we all see.
I think?
Message 20 of 26
Anonymous

Problem solved.  It's the MS wireless scrolling mouse.  I replaced it with a new Logitech wireless scrolling mouse and that solved it.  A couple of observations.  With the old mouse I nailed the problem down to fast zooms.  With the new mouse the speed of the zoom doesn't cause a problem.  And as some have mentioned, while zooming in an active viewport, the paper space triangle appears momentarily  but when the zooming stops, the model space icon comes back.  With the old mouse, the model space icon didn't come back and I had to double click inside the viewport again to make it active.  I don't normally work in an active viewport but when I do this has been a problem.

Thanks for the help in solving my problem.

Lowell McCormick

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report