Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2017 LT classic view icon sizes

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
wes
Contributor
1795 Views, 15 Replies

AutoCAD 2017 LT classic view icon sizes

I've installed AutoCAD LT 2017 on a new Dell 17" Alienware notebook computer. When I switch to classic view, the menu icons are a miniscule size, but everything looks normal in draft & annotation view.  I have tried adjusting the magnification settings and the screen resolution, but the icons in classic view are still way too small no matter what adjustments I make. Text size, however, looks normal within the menus, but overlaps. The text on the command line is HUGE. I'm sure this is just a windows 10 setting, but not sure what to do.File Jan 14, 11 13 39 PM.jpegFile Jan 14, 11 14 18 PM.jpeg

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Justin_Doughty
in reply to: wes

Hi,

Just use the following, should sort this:

Odd-graphics-display-when-working-with-a-high-resolution-high-dpi-monitor-in-AutoCAD

Justin Doughty
Cadline Ltd.
Blog | Twitter
Message 3 of 16
pendean

In AutoCAD/LT2017, go grab the 2017.1.1 update (notice the "point one point one" in the name) from your active subscription-only updates page https://manage.autodesk.com/cep/#products-services/updates
Read all about it here: http://blogs.autodesk.com/autocad/autocad-2017-fall-update/
Note: It doesn't solve all the problems, just many of them. A better fix will probably show up in AutoCAD/LT2018 later this year or AutoCAD/LT2019 next year.

If you are an EDU license holder or this is just the trial version, then you can only do this for now http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Odd-gra...

Message 4 of 16
pendean
in reply to: Justin_Doughty

@Justin_Doughty time to upgrade your info regarding R2017/LT2017 if you truly wish to help others in these forums http://blogs.autodesk.com/autocad/autocad-2017-fall-update/
Message 5 of 16
Justin_Doughty
in reply to: pendean

@pendean not sure what you mean, in the link I provided the solution states exactly what you have advised:

2017-01-16_15h06_50.png

Please clarify what you mean by upgrading this info?

Justin Doughty
Cadline Ltd.
Blog | Twitter
Message 6 of 16
pendean
in reply to: Justin_Doughty

Sorry, I should have explained more: I meant specifically the "AUtodesk Desktop App" option: it's not reliable for some, it's not informative for others, it also will not notify EDU users they are not currently eligible to get the update.

It's best if a user goes to their account updates page to see what is and is not available to them for updates.

Note: your link seems to come up missing/dead sometimes (like right now).
Message 7 of 16
dbdoug62

I bought a new 2-in-1 laptop with 4K display a couple days ago, and installed the 30-day trial of LT 2017 this morning.  I have the same display issues that others describe: huge text in command line and Properties palette, miniscule toolbars, etc.  The program is not usable at this point because of display issues.  Apparently the trial version can't be updated to the .1.1 update.  Will I be wasting my time trying to solve display issues by adjusting settings,  without installing the .1.1 update?  If I purchase and register the product immediately, how much confidence should I have that the .1.1 update will remedy some or all of the problems with 4K displays?

Dan

Message 8 of 16
pendean
in reply to: dbdoug62

The 2017.1.1 is an active subscription perk only: it's how they designed it and wish to release it.

You can research what all it does and read what all everyone is writing about it. IMHO it's "good enough" for a stop-gap mid-release fix. Otherwise there is not much anyone can do for you in trial mode.
Message 9 of 16
pendean

Start the DIMSTYLE command: is the text height in the dimstyle you are using set to the larger or smaller text height?
Does the same happen if you simply gripedit and locate the text manually?
Message 10 of 16
wes
Contributor

The office has a subscription for multiple licenses, so I've already installed the 1.1 update.

Message 11 of 16
wes
Contributor

Do a search for Dan Antonielli "Adobe App Scaling on High DPI Displays (FIX)". Follow his instructions for creating a manifest file. Download one of his sample files to your desktop and rename it "acadlt.exe.manifest". Drag and drop that file into the autocad exe file folder. This solved the problem for me.

Message 12 of 16
pendean

What is your Windows OS?
What is your video card? What are it's exact display settings and font scaling?

We are not having any issues on our 4k display Lenovo laptops with the 2017.1.1, but we are not running classic workspace. Does the problem go away if you are NOT running classic workspace?
Message 13 of 16
wes
Contributor

The new computer is Windows 10. Resolution 3840 x 2160, display zoom 250%. The graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070. The computer is a Dell 17" Alienware.

The drafting & annotation workspace looked fine as far as the menus were concerned, but I did not check the text for the menus. The problem was that the text within pull down menus such as for layers, text styles, dimension styles, etc. was at a normal size so everything overlapped. After I installed the manifest file, all looked like it should.

Message 14 of 16
dbdoug62

I bought LT and installed the 2017.1.1 Update.  I also lowered my screen resolution to 2560 x 2048.  Things look better now.  Command line text and Properties palette text appear normal.  Toolbars are still too tiny to be usable.  I read that this is to be expected with the 2017.1.1 Update - they haven't gotten as far as fixing the scale of toolbars yet.  So it'll be the Ribbons for now, I guess.  That's ok, I mostly type.  Thanks to those who offered helpful insight.

Dan

Message 15 of 16
wes
Contributor

After I installed the 1.1 update, I also tried several variations between adjusting the display zoom and screen resolution. I guess I'm still old school. I just have a really hard time navigating in the drafting & annotation workspace. If you get tired of it, creating the manifest file will work. All that does is tell windows not to run AutoCAD (or any other specific program) at the higher resolution, but you can still keep your computer display resolution at the max setting if you want.

Message 16 of 16
pendean

Thanks for the feedback: good to know.

I suspect it's probably their way of getting you to move away from toolbars and onto the Ribbon after 12-years of it being around: I'd be very surprised if they put any effort into the toolbars moving forward.

The other user in this post suggests a trick to play in WIndows on AutoCAD (and other programs not designed for 4k displays) that may help, just remember that tricks eventually stop working at some point https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/notifications/notifymoderatorpage/message-uid/6809130

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report