Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annotative Texts and Blocks

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
infoYVC2J
258 Views, 2 Replies

Annotative Texts and Blocks

Hello. I have been away from using Autocad for 12 years and I need to get back to the horse.  Been trying to save some time and effort (drawing with Autocad LT 2021) using a single file per discipline (example; one file for plumbing, one for HVAC and so on).  We like to make a general floor plan for large projects and use match lines or blow ups for specific areas.

The situation is when I start dimensioning and using blocks if I want to use the same floor plan and not make a copy of it on the side for another scale.

example is;  I have a General Floor plan at 1/16"  and the blow ups at 1/8".  If I use the blocks and texts for 1/16" , then I have to make an extra effort doing the same for 1/8" so when i change to Paper Space everything is on scale.  In summary, looking for an effective way to reduce time and effort.  Thanks

Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
timothy_crouse
in reply to: infoYVC2J

You opened up Pandora's box with this question 🙂

So my assumption is that you use a single file with multiple layout tabs, one for each trade sheet.

That's an older technique, but obviously still get's the job done.

My suggestion would be to work a project using the following:

1. Move to sheetsets, many time saving, maintenance and coordination benefits:

Meaning if sheet names/ numbers change the links change throughout the entire package

no need to go to every sheet to update stuff

-renaming and renumber sheets

-mathlines are linked to sheets

-Detail Ref / Call Blocks are linked

-NEVER NEVER 🙂 use a sheet set view to create vport in a layout, it is locked in the state it was defined under,

EG you will not be able to toggle layers in that vport  >> if you like that idea I would suggest you stick to using ALL created vports from the sheet set view or NONE of the vports  >> all vport get created manually (more maintenance control).

2.  Use master XREFS

-Always insert XREFS on a dedicated XREF layer

-Always instert XREFs as overlays, never as an attachment, prevent dual loading of XREFs

-NEVER, NEVER put annotation on a plot layer in an xref,  place equipment labels on an info layer

-Establish which VISRETAIN options work best for you, EG do you wish to allow XREF line color and plot style changes to propagate to the upper sheets that the XREF is linked into,  I use 336

All XREFS should be setup with base point 0,0

Sheets (Layouts)

-Create a file for each sheet

-Copy the layout tab when sheet revision are required

-Place ALL annotation in Paperspace, this is a sticking point for some folks as they feel it benefits them by keeping the annotation with the model space objects,  This really shouldn't be a concern when you are using XREFs properly.

**Use of annotative blocks:

IF YOU ABSOLUTLY WANT TO HAVE ANNOTAION IN MODELSPACE 🙂

1. Use annotative blocks and text

2. Always drop them through a viewport as it will assign the scale on the fly

3. Minimize to the use of having multiple scales as the object carries an instance of each scale >> this may be seen in modelspace when you touch the object with your mouse, multiple objects will appear.  Plus if you mess with it in modelspace you may lose track of where the actual insertion point is, this will become apparent if you experiment.

Use of annotative blocks other than text, such a device symbols EG receptacles, thermostats and the like can be useful to allow the devices to stay properly scaled at which ever vport scale the vport is set at.  STATING that I have a problem with that technique.  I never show or try never to show the same object twice, less maintenance that way .

If I am going to use an enlarge room view to view something like an electrical room  I turn off all objects that will be appearing in the enlarged room view in the plane view.  I handle this inside my XREFs.  Objects are place on layers to allow toggle control in top level drawings.  Some folks show all objects in all views, to each their own, but I do not like to show smudgy objects on plan views.

SUMMARY

-Use sheet Sets

-Use XREFS

-Use layouts to track/retain revision history

-Prepare a border template with attributes linked to the required sheetset properties.

Best Regards and Good Luck

-Tim C.

See attachment for what be some useful starter files for you

Message 3 of 3
pendean
in reply to: infoYVC2J

Explore these online tutorials and guides in addition to the info shared by others, there is a bit of a learning curve to setup annotative text/dims https://www.google.com/search?q=autocad+annotative+text+and+dimensions+tutorial&rlz=1C1AVFC_enUS785U...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators