Did you mean: 

Zoomed too far out - Grid has gone missing even though grid is on

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
Anonymous
2482 Views, 18 Replies

Zoomed too far out - Grid has gone missing even though grid is on

I accidentally zoomed too far out and the adaptive zoom must've messed the grid up or something. Either way, the grid spaces are now massive and don't shrink down back to the size of my normal, person sized model. I tried to mess around in grid settings but now the grid is just completely gone altogether. (1st file is screenshot when zoomed to extents, 2nd is grid settings and 3rd is when zoomed out a lot.)

Tags (3)
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
ennujozlagam
in reply to: Anonymous

hello, you can refer to this LINK. thanks

ddr.JPG

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: ennujozlagam

Thanks but I've already looked at this article. The spacing is set to the default 10 as it is in the image I've included but the grid is still all messed up.
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous

Easiest fix might be to copy your geometry to a new drawing if it's just the one drawing which is affected. Is that an option?

Message 5 of 19
pendean

Restart AutoCAD then open this file again: problem gone?

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous

I've tried that but for some reason the only thing that will copy over to another drawing is text. I did manage to copy the drawing over once but it was ridiculously small compared to the rest of the drawing, despite showing regular dimensions when I measured it.
Message 7 of 19
pendean

Share your DWG file and let us see your work first hand: let us see what you see for ourselves.

Message 8 of 19
JPomeroy

This sounds like a big red flag- can you post the two drawings so we can look at the settings and compare?

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Here's the file. Please excuse the dumb file name, I didn't name it. If you zoom to extents you can see the drawing. As I said before, the grid is completely gone now even though it is turned on. I'm not sure if this is just an issue with my settings or with my model so please let me know what you find.

Message 10 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: JPomeroy

I didn't save the other drawing, only the one with the model I need in it as the other one I made was completely empty and just to test out what was wrong. I've attached the original DWG file to pendean's reply in this thread.

Message 11 of 19
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

looking to your drawing shows this:

20190108_232434.png

Coordinates like 10^59 is far to high for CAD double precision calculation.

You can return to "normal" coordinates by entering these lines in the command line

_ZOOM<ENTER>

_EXTENTS<ENTER>

Then you are back to normal CAD-live 😉

[EDIT]Sorry, zooming to extents is wrong as the model is aready much too large[/EDIT]

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 12 of 19
pendean

Set UCS and PLAN commands to WORLD in your EDU file: look up usage in HELP, type them if needed.

Was your teacher not able to help you with your task?

Capture.PNG

Message 13 of 19
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

sorry for my first post, this file is really strange as even coordinate input like the above zoom coordinates are rejected as incorrect, also a line from 0,0 to 100,100 returns the message that a line with length 0 was created anywhere at the 10^59 coordinates.

What I have done and that worked:

After ZOOM EXTENTS I selected the objects and was able to erase them

Then I used _UCS _WORLD (to set the UCS to world)

Command _LIMITS _OFF (to make sure coordinate input is not limited to limits

Then I used PAN to bring the coordinate axis symbol to the center of the screen and used ZOOM WINDOW with a very small rectangle around the origin of the coordinate axis symbol ... until the coordinate display in the status line show "normal" values.

HTH, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 14 of 19
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

@pendean

I need a teacher too, because I first did ZOOM EXTENTS and got the high coordinates (not used UCS W first) 😉

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thanks Alfred, I've got the grid back but I'm not entirely sure what to do with my massive model now. I believe that is detailed in the last part of your solution but I'm not quite sure how to do that last part.

Message 16 of 19
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I've got the grid back but I'm not entirely sure what

>> to do with my massive model now

Please follow @pendean's suggestion, works much better than my suggestion!

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous

It's school holidays right now and neither my parents nor my friends have experience in AutoCad

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous

This solution has brought the grid back but unfortunately, it's still really small compared to my model as it is in your screenshot. Is there anything that can be done about this? Thanks for all your help pendean.

Message 19 of 19
cadffm

Set your GRIDDISPLAY to 3

and change your LIMITS to higher coordinates, or set it off.

and disable LIMCHECK (if you don't know why it is on in your drawing)

Sebastian

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta