Did you mean: 

Will AutoCAD run on Windows 10?

61 REPLIES 61
SOLVED
Message 1 of 62
Anonymous
203189 Views, 61 Replies

Will AutoCAD run on Windows 10?

My dad uses Windows 7 Professional 64-bit and AutoCAD 2012 and I'm wondering if it will be compatible with Windows 10 when it becomes available? 

61 REPLIES 61
Message 21 of 62
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

or B) how do I return to windows 8.1? 

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=how+to+revert+back+to+windows+8.1+from+windows+10+pro

Message 22 of 62
pendean
Message 23 of 62
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

yes, I DO EXPECT things to run properly when they advertise that all your existing stuff is safe and transferrable.

Where did you see this information advertised?  Link please.

Message 24 of 62
malcolm_smith

I Recently upograded to Windows 10. AutoCAD will open as far as the home screen, but I cant open any files and the application hangs in a loop.

Message 25 of 62
malcolm_smith

I Recently upograded to Windows 10. AutoCAD 2016 will open as far as the home screen, but I can't open any files and the application hangs in a loop.

Tags (1)
Message 26 of 62
ampster40
in reply to: malcolm_smith

if searching on this error doesn't pan out or provide any useful information on how to fix it, nor does repair/reinstall, etc take care of it, advice is to roll back to previous operating system.
Message 27 of 62
Anonymous
in reply to: ampster40

Hmm...I upgraded inplace windows 7 to windows 10 and have no problems with AutoCAD Architecture 2014. I also upgraded a Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, waited for activation, and did a clean install of Windows 10, and installed / used AutoCAD 2014 with no problems.

The only small issue I came across was with a duplicate taskbar icon opening when I double click files from a folder. If I open my pinned version first (with the A suffix), then double click a file they'll open correctly.

I haven't experienced many bugs with Windows 10 in my daily use: I've used it on my work computer for about a week and a half.

Pendean's suggestion of creating a separate partition for windows 10 is a good idea, that way if something prevents you from working, you can very easily boot from the other partition until the problem gets resolved.
Message 28 of 62
Anonymous

This is of little consequence now but you should have investigated that possiblility before upgrading as I am doing now. AutoCAD and Windows 10 are not a stable prospect at this time wait for AutoCAD not Microsoft to corfirm their software will work.

Message 29 of 62
Anonymous

hello guys..excuse me ...

if you want to install windows10 and you want to use autocad also... but problem is autocad not suppoted winX so i have an idea for you

steps:

1. install windows10

2. then install virtual box/VMware Workstation at winX

3. install OS xp/win7/win8.1 using virtual box/VMware Workstation 

4. then install your AutoCAD using virtual box/VMware Workstation Smiley Wink

plz try i hope useful for all of you ...thank you 

Message 30 of 62
octavio2
in reply to: ampster40

The Setting/Update & security/Recovery of Windows 10 says that you can roll back only within the month after installation.  Has anybody rolled  back who can share the experience?  And if so, had AutoCAD LT 2013 or other installed AutoCAD needed to be reinstalled once you are again in the the older operating system?

Message 31 of 62
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: octavio2

Hi,

>> Has anybody rolled  back who can share the experience?

This is the only thread (I know and found) about rolling back done and working (from @Anonymous in post 3): >>>click<<<.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 32 of 62
ampster40

I have rolled back one system I updated - it was basically a painless operation, just follow the prompts. But I do not have any licensed Autodesk software on there so I can't report how that might turn out for you.
Message 33 of 62
malcolm_smith

apmster,  I rolled my windows 10 back to windows 7. I didn't have to reinstall AutoCAD and it went back to working fine under Windows 7.

Incidently. I think the reason AutoCAD didn't work under Windows 10 was because there were no windows 10 drivers for my graphics card.

Message 34 of 62
pendean
in reply to: malcolm_smith

How to check your PC for Win10 hardware compatibility before you commit:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/will-your-pc-run-windows-10-use-this-well-hidden-compatibility-checker-...

Message 35 of 62
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

I've had AutoCAD LT 2012 working on Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and now Windows 10. There is an error with installation unless you run the installation using Windows compatibility mode. It would be an idea to run a Windows 10 install off a secondary drive or USB to test if your setup is going to work.
Message 36 of 62
Anonymous

Can autocad work on a windows 8.1 laptop that has been upgraded to windows 10. And by the way i need this answered as soon as possible

Message 37 of 62
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

welcome @Anonymous.autodesk.com!

>> Can autocad work on a windows 8.1 laptop that has been upgraded to windows 10

You missed one of the most important info's: which AutoCAD release?

If you want to have a stable system I would recommend to not do that, but (in case of AutoCAD 2016) you might follow >>>that article<<< which shows some suggestions to get AutoCAD 2016 working on Windows 10.

>> And by the way i need this answered as soon as possible

And by the way: the word "please" instead of "as soon as possible" would be great. As this forum is a users-help-users forum we don't get money for what we are doing, your wording (especially with your first post here) is not that motivating to others to support you.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 38 of 62
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

im sorry for saying as soon as possible i didn't think you would reply as
fast but thank you for giving my the article i needed
Message 39 of 62
Anonymous
in reply to: rkmcswain

I updated a machine fromVista 32 bit that had AutoCad 2007 on it. I did an in place upgrade to Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and used PCmover to move all the programs into the new installation. After the machine did all the updates for windows 7 Pro I was able to do the free install of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

Autocad 2007 runs without a hitch on Windows 10 Pro 64 bit on that machine.

Message 40 of 62
Anonymous

I've updated to windows 10 recently and ran into the same problem. I've went back to windows 7 but my autoCAD won't open on that virsion either. suggestions?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report