Did you mean: 

What are the uses of AUTO CAD modeling

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
874 Views, 9 Replies

What are the uses of AUTO CAD modeling

Evenging everyone, I'm new and very keen and interested in 3D modeling drafting.

But I have a question that has been bugging me; what will these models be used for? Presentations? Can you create an entire cad drawing (with the designing in 2D and then modeling and dimensioning (in 3D) every single component and view in autocad) from a single model.

Because, I think, if all the information is in the 3D model you create, then surely the plot layout should just contain the model with various detailing/sections and then have all dimensions of the model in each sectioned/detaied view port?  

I have never used inventor, only autocad and revit architecture.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Absolutely. You can do everything you speak of.

Message 3 of 10
BeKirra

@Anonymous wrote:

what will these models be used for? Presentations?

I have never used inventor, only autocad and revit architecture.

It all depends what you aim to.

It can be for presentation, of course, and be also for building, fabrication, assembly, etc.

It can be used for artwork in some degree. Obviously, AutoCAD or Inventor is not the program for this kind of work.

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

So could you tell me how I can generate the layout 2D views in the attached picture 02 using only the model I designed (in attached picture 05). Only because I think it would be far more efficient to only use the 3d model because logically the model contains the information in picture 02. I think why waste time drawing and dimensioning the 2D objects AGAIN if I drew them to create the 3D model. I know it is possible to dimension a 3D model.

Thank you very much and I look forward to hearing from you.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: BeKirra

Hi I would like to ask you if you could possibly tell me how I can generate the 2D views in the attached picture 02 using only the model I designed (in attached picture 05). Only because I think it would be far more efficient to only use the 3d model because logically the model contains the information in picture 02. I think why waste time drawing and dimensioning the 2D objects AGAIN if I drew them to create the 3D model? I know it is possible to dimension a 3D model.

Thank you very much and I look forward to hearing any advice.

Message 6 of 10
PaulMunford

If you have AutoCAD 2014, use the 'VIEWBASE' command:

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-create-a-2d-view-from-a-3d-model-in-autocad.html

If not, use flatshot:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Flatten...

Autodesk Marketing Manager D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: PaulMunford

i've got 2015 I'll give it a shot thank you sir (Y)
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

Perhaps I wasn't explaining properly. What I would like to know is if it's possible to generate the 2D views in the attached picture 02 using only the model I designed (attached picture 05). Because I think it would be far more efficient and makes a lot more sense to focus on the 3d model as the source because logically the model contains the information for/in picture 02. I think why waste time drawing and dimensioning the 2D objects AGAIN if I drew them to create the 3D model, so surely they can be extracted from the model? I know it is possible to dimension a 3D model so that isn't the issue.

I have offset sectioned the base views to try and get the 2-D views in 02 but the depth of the section view is too far back so am I doing anything wrong? Because I want to create views that are exactly the same/very similair to the views in 02.

Thank you for your input (I know I repeated myself a few times but I'm only trying to clarify the issue by describing it a bit differently)

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: PaulMunford

Perhaps I wasn't explaining properly. What I would like to know is if it's possible to generate the 2D views in the attached picture 02 using only the model I designed (attached picture 05). Because I think it would be far more efficient and makes a lot more sense to focus on the 3d model as the source because logically the model contains the information for/in picture 02. I think why waste time drawing and dimensioning the 2D objects AGAIN if I drew them to create the 3D model, so surely they can be extracted from the model? I know it is possible to dimension a 3D model so that isn't the issue.

I have offset sectioned the base views to try and get the 2-D views in 02 but the depth of the section view is too far back so am I doing anything wrong? Because I want to create views that are exactly the same/very similair to the views in 02.

Thank you for your input (I know I repeated myself a few times but I'm only trying to clarify the issue by describing it a bit differently)
Message 10 of 10
BeKirra

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi I would like to ask you if you could possibly tell me how I can generate the 2D views in the attached picture 02 using only the model I designed (in attached picture 05). Only because I think it would be far more efficient to only use the 3d model because logically the model contains the information in picture 02. I think why waste time drawing and dimensioning the 2D objects AGAIN if I drew them to create the 3D model? I know it is possible to dimension a 3D model.

Thank you very much and I look forward to hearing any advice.

1st of all, I recommend you attach sample "dwg" file(s) next time and it would help people better understand what is the issue.

I attached a sample file of mine and you may have a look. I also ask you to dimension the object - you will learn from it.

The trick of creating the individual views on layout is that use "UCS" and "UCSfollow". Please explore the HELP for their details.

HTH

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report