Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird vertex on polyline

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
douglas
565 Views, 9 Replies

Weird vertex on polyline

What is this vertex the pictures included with this post?  I haven't seen it before.  It started showing up when I was editing a co-worker's polylines. I am trying to reduce vertices, so I am snapping one onto another with osnap. Normally when I snap one vertex on another, they combine into one new square vertex.  Now I'm getting this slash thing, which doesn't have options for adding or removing the vertex.  How can I get rid of these or at least convert it into a normal editable vertex?  Thank you.

vertxex.jpg

vertex 2.jpg

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
pendean
in reply to: douglas

share that portion here as a DWG file please.

Message 3 of 10
Washingtonn

Since it started showing up when you were editing an existing polyline.....make sure you are in fact "combining" them instead of moving them to the same or very nearly the same position.  Check the current Vertex  count in the properties window compared to the number of grips you can count.

Message 4 of 10
Kent1Cooper

@douglas wrote:

..... I am trying to reduce vertices, so I am snapping one onto another with osnap. Normally when I snap one vertex on another, they combine into one new square vertex.  ..... doesn't have options for adding or removing the vertex....

I highly recommend that you not do it that way.  They don't actually combine into one new vertex, but rather they pile up on each other, resulting in multiple vertices in the same place, and therefore having zero-length segments between them.  Coincident vertices like that can be the cause of various problems, one of them being your issue of not being able to add/remove a vertex when you hover over a multiple-vertex location.

Instead of grip-editing one vertex onto another, use the Remove Vertex option.  Or use PEDIT's Edit-Vertex option and the Straighten sub-option, which can get you around coincident-vertices conditions.  You can also use PEDIT / Edit-vertex / Move to separate coincident vertices from each other, so that you can Remove one with hover-over grip-editing.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 5 of 10
Valentin-WSP

@douglas ,

I have encountered this issue before and resolved by trimming or breaking a portion and then gripping one to another (or fillet) at the common point.

ValentinWSP_0-1718180982786.png

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Emilio Valentin
Message 6 of 10
douglas
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Thank you.  I understand.  It seems like good advice.  However, I never had an issue before.  Previously, the vertices seemed to combine without incident and there was never this different vertex indicating coincident vertices.  Perhaps that was an illusion, but it never caused problems before.  Is this symbol something new?

Message 7 of 10
ChicagoLooper

@douglas 

a more appropriate way to remove a vertex.......

101.png

Note: You can only remove one vertex at a time. Repeat operation as needed. 

Chicagolooper
Message 8 of 10
Kent1Cooper

@douglas wrote:

....  Is this symbol something new?

I'm not sure it's a symbol.  We can't tell from your image, but it may be just a row of grips too closely spaced to read separately.  Post a small drawing file with such an object in it.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 9 of 10
pendean

@douglas wrote:

...However, I never had an issue before...

You may be missing something if you're only looking in one plane, an issue that can be identified in minutes if it was not for your fear of sharing that portion of the DWG file 🙂

pendean_0-1718141413039.png

pendean_1-1718141454649.png

Message 10 of 10
TomBeauford

I've always used Kent1Cooper's method and recommend zooming in close before starting pedit so the × will be on a endpoint near to where you want to start straightening the polyline. You method doesn't actually remove any endpoints it simply puts them on top of each other which can create other complications later.

64bit AutoCAD Map & Civil 3D 2023
Architecture Engineering & Construction Collection
Windows 10 Dell i7-12850HX 2.1 Ghz 12GB NVIDIA RTX A3000 12GB Graphics Adapter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta