Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viewport Content not Aligned when Copying Layouts Between Drawings

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
arfrey
426 Views, 5 Replies

Viewport Content not Aligned when Copying Layouts Between Drawings

I have two drawings for each floor for several dozen buildings. The second copy of each drawing is an xref of the original floor plan with some additional data. The xref drawings contain an updated layout that I would like to copy to the original drawings. When I copy the layout from the Design Center, everything is great except that the viewport has shifted so the contents of the two viewports are not aligned. I have ensured that the origin point and contents are at the exact same position in both drawings and at 0,0,0. I have ensured that the BASE is set as 0,0,0 as well. I think I must be missing some other variable that differs between the drawings but I don't know it exists so I have no idea how to change it. Help! Attached are the two drawings. If you restore the xref path of the xref drawing after downloading, you will be able to see what I am talking about.

Labels (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
sideshow-bev
in reply to: arfrey

my guess is that it has something to do with the insertion scales. They're different in each drawing. I did a saveas to the original drawing (renamed it original drawing2), and created a layout with the model info correct/centered, then went back to the original drawing and imported the layout I just made, and it came in fine.

Message 3 of 6
arfrey
in reply to: sideshow-bev

Thank you for the response!!

According to AutoCAD, "There are three system variables (INSUNITS, INSUNITSDEFSOURCE, and INSUNITSDEFTARGET) that control the insertion scale for blocks, xrefs, and raster images."

I put all of these to the same value (which were different as you mentioned). This did not solve the issue for me. Notably, the scale of the viewports remains the same when they are copied, it is just the content that is shifted for some reason.

Are these the variables you were referring to, or am I off base here?

Message 4 of 6
sideshow-bev
in reply to: arfrey

I've never heard of those variables haha Let me ask you this: How do you create the "Xref" versions? Do you do a saveas from the original? Or use another method?

Message 5 of 6
pendean

Message 6 of 6
arfrey

That is another part of the problem 🙂 I did not create the original dwg's nor the xref versions. They were created years apart, by different users, and on different versions of AutoCAD. I duplicated your experiment as soon as you mentioned it, and that works for me as well. I know there are workarounds, but I would love to understand how duplicate viewports end up shifting content when copied between drawings. There must be one more variable I am missing 🙃

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report