Union of 2 solids using curves

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
tecnicoKJFRK
632 Views, 11 Replies

Union of 2 solids using curves

Hello everyone,

as you can see in the attached dwg file I have 2 solids (a blade and a support) which need to be unified into a single piece.
The problem is that I would like to connect them without intersection and by hand I don't think it's feasable... it would require them to be tangent to each other, I guess.

Thanks in advance, have a good day 🙂

M.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: tecnicoKJFRK

UNION will connect things that don't touch each other into a single Solid [try it].  If I misunderstood, explain in greater detail.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 3 of 12
jrreid

I am going to wing this and see if it is correct.

I drew a Circle (Yellow). I moved the inward the depth of Red Body center circle to the Red Body Large cirlce.

Then Moved the Circle (Yellow) out the short distance of what looks like a Flat Washer on your Red Body.

Then selected the Red Body / Blade and moved it from the Small Red Body center center circle to the center of the (Yellow) Circle I put in. 

Perfect Fit it looks like to me. The Red Bodies Flat Washers now reside flat onto the surface of the Purple Body with the thickness of the Flat Washer between Red Body and Purple Body.

Due to the Red Body Flat Washer being larger then the Purple Body Slots, there has to be a Gap between the two bodies. I left the (Yellow Circle).

Let us know if this is how you wanted it shown.

Enjoyed!

JRR.

Message 4 of 12
Valentin-WSP

@tecnicoKJFRK ,

@tecnicoKJFRK wrote:

... 2 solids (a blade and a support) which need to be unified into a single piece.

...it would require them to be tangent to each other, I guess.

I agree with @Kent1Cooper, if you just want to "unified into a single piece" - as currently shown. 

However, because you mentioned "it would require them to be tangent to each other", I think you may want to have the inside radius of the blade (gray) meet exactly with the outer radius of sphere support - unless this is intentional.  If you can determine the center of the inside blade, then it can be moved from center to center (without having any gaps between the blade and the support -see image).  Otherwise, consider using the SUBTRACT command to redo the inside radius of the blade.

ValentinWSP_0-1631796441614.png

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Emilio Valentin
Message 5 of 12
leeminardi

@tecnicoKJFRK My understanding of your goal is to position the blade such that its contact surface is coincident with the spherical surface of the red support. I estimate that the radius of the support's spherical surface to be 100.  Is this correct?  The center of the blades center should lie on a surface offset by 100.  The offset command failed to generate an offset surface of 100.  This is understandable as a point surface would be the result.  I created an offset surface at 50 and then created lines (with ray) from estimated corresponding points on the blade surface and it offset.  These line should intersect at the center of curvature of the blade's spherical surface. 

From here all you need to do is move the blade so that its center of curvature point is coincident with the supports center of curvature point.

image.png

lee.minardi
Message 6 of 12
tecnicoKJFRK
in reply to: Valentin-WSP

Yes, I posted this because I have no idea how to get the blade to meet the support. The gap is the one thing I have to fix...
I'll try this, thanks Valentin!
Message 7 of 12
tecnicoKJFRK
in reply to: leeminardi

Yes, the radius is 100...didn't even know about the surface offset command !

Thanks a lot @leeminardi !
I will try it now
Message 8 of 12
leeminardi

You'll have to explode the solid to use SURFOFFSET.

lee.minardi
Message 9 of 12
jrreid

So.. based on what others are saying, I subtracted the 3 Red Flat Washers.

Then Moved the Red Body with Blade from Center to Center of Purple Body and perfect FLAT FIT.

You don't need the Flat Washers to keep in place if you use your bolt holes.

But you need now to make your Outside of the Red Body larger to make it Smooth Transition to the Purple Body.

See my CAD and Pasted image.

Hope this helps some more!

JRR.

jrreid_0-1631805171772.png

Message 10 of 12
tecnicoKJFRK
in reply to: jrreid

Do you think so? I'm fairly new to actual realization so I wasn't sure about the washer...
I've been trying to follow the SURFOFFSET advice but I still find it hard to move around precisely.
My last hope would be to have a bit of intersection between the blade and the support... Not the best solution but it wouldn't take that much material while doing so.

I've been using autocad for a year now and I really have to admit that the community around it is probably one of the best I've ever been in !

Thanks a lot again!!

M.
Message 11 of 12
leeminardi

Making the red object flush with the magenta object is easy.  Just move it by -101.0055 in Y so that the top of the boss is tangent to the magenta's surface.

image.png

After the move.

image.png

Now make a copy of the blade on another layer (bladecopy) and work on that layer with the other layers frozen. 

Rather than use the offset method I suggested earlier here's another approach.  If the blade surface we want to mate with the support (red) is spherical then its center is at the intersection point of three spheres of radius 100 whose centers are on the surface.

Construct three 100 R spheres using osnap nearest at different points along the surface edge. The result should look something like this.

image.png

image.png 

Now do a Boolean subtract of two of the spheres from the third resulting in the following. Place a point at the corner as noted.

image.png

This point should be at the center of curvature of the blade's spherical surface.

The white point is the center of the blade and the green point the center of the red support (located 100 to the right of red's surface along its centerline).

image.png

Move the blade and point together so the the two points are coincident yielding the following.

image.png

Visually examining the result they the two objects look tangent.

image.png

Doing a Boolean intersect with no results shows that the do not intersect.  You can use rotate3d or 3drotate to reposition the blade to any orientation as long as you use the center point as the base point for the rotations.

lee.minardi
Message 12 of 12
tecnicoKJFRK
in reply to: leeminardi

Thanks @leeminardi for your detailed solution, it really helped me a lot understanding this process.

I'd like to repeat myself by saying that I'm really happy about this community 🙂

Thanks again to everybody who partecipated in this thread and have a good day !

M.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report