Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TRIM not working correctly. It's moving the end of lines and not trimming others.

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
MaccyDee
902 Views, 3 Replies

TRIM not working correctly. It's moving the end of lines and not trimming others.

Refer video attached. ive seen this a couple of times in these particular drawings now  but cant find any varibale or setting that would cause this. 

Selecting trim command, quick trim, all lines as cutting edges (auto) and trimming lines inside a circle is causing the end Vertice of one of the lines to shoot off to the end of some other line (same object).

ive tried selecting cutting edges and standard mode, no change.

i also wblocked the object if you want to use same object as is in the video.

note: if you explode the object, it works as it should but i want to know why it does this when it's in its original state (the object is individual lines to begin with)

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
cadffm
in reply to: MaccyDee

Hi,

the problem is the ugly dataset of your polyline (ugly as this model itself, I mean objects on top of objects on top of objects..),

Acad struggles to rebuild the 2x trimmed original pline because of the congruent line part of V(ertex)2-V3 and V3-V4.

Red=original, (V5 and V1 is the 'closed' line, so there are two line parts)

Yellow=my sketch to show how it is,

Magenta=after trim

CADffm_1-1687850725442.png

Test: If you move V2 a bit to the side(X), the result is as expected,

also if you change the close-property to 'false' you get an expected result.

I would clean up the drawing first, use OVERKILL for example,

it can't solve all "problems", but some.

Call it a bug, but I wouldn't. Bad basic -> bad result.

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
MaccyDee
in reply to: cadffm

thanks for your detailed analysis, Seb! awesome work, that's why they pay you the big bucks!

I had a suspicion that it was these ugly a** drawings, I don't know why they do them like this, you can run the overkill command several times before it stops finding overlaps and duplicates and everything is on the same layers or conversely, one object can have 10 different layers with everything the same color line type and everything....nightmares..

Thanks again for the assist!

Message 4 of 4
cadffm
in reply to: MaccyDee

>>"that's why they pay you the big bucks"

😂  ?? 🤔

😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

Glad to help

Sebastian

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta