Transferring Layer with line Type

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
apanbasu
1701 Views, 4 Replies

Transferring Layer with line Type

I am running AutoCAD 2008

• I am trying to transfer layers with line type from one drawing to another drawing. After opening the Design Center - I could copy the layer and then I cannot paste them on the intended drawing. I could not copy the line types either. Can somebody help me transfer the the line types from one drawing to another drawing?
  • I am trying to insert a block and it states the block is referenced itself and will not insert the block.  I purged all blocks from the drawing. I did the same thing for the referenced drawings. I am still getting the same message.The block is not shown in the Design Center. How do I correct this situation?

HAPPY NEW YEAR.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: apanbasu

@apanbasu wrote:

• I am trying to transfer layers with line type from one drawing to another drawing. After opening the Design Center - I could copy the layer and then I cannot paste them on the intended drawing. I could not copy the line types either. ....
  • I am trying to insert a block and it states the block is referenced itself and will not insert the block. .... 

For the first, you should be able to pick on a Layer name in ADC [or more than one with the Ctrl key held down, or a group in sequence with Shift], and not copy and paste but drag them into the drawing area.  That brings their linetypes along, too.

For the second, if you're Inserting a drawing to become a Block in the current drawing, there must be a Block definition in that drawing with the same name as the drawing itself.  Try renaming the drawing, so that as a Block in the current drawing it will have a different name from the Block nested in it, or renaming the Block in it before inserting it.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 3 of 5
apanbasu
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Thank you for your help in transferring the layers. I was told that process in the past but some reason I did not understood the process.

Regarding the Block is referenced itself. I have attached a drawing that shown no block in the system. I tried to insert a block name "ISOLATOR" and it gives me the same error message. I have attached the drawing and the block named "ISOLATOR" can you look at it and let me know where in the drawing the block "ISOLATOR" is hiding?

Message 4 of 5
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: apanbasu

Hi,

>> Regarding the Block is referenced itself

You have a drawing called ISOLATOR.dwg. Within the drawing you have a block defined with the same name ISOLATOR.

When you now open a new drawing, use command _INSERT to insert the ISOLATOR.dwg into your current drawing then AutoCAD has first to add the blockdefinition to your current drawing, now (as a block name has to be unique) which ISOLATOR should be used, the whole drawing, or the blockdefinition already within the ISOLATOR.dwg. And that is the reason why you can't use _INSERT in such cases.

The changes you have:

• use DesignCenter to select the blockdefinition within the ISOLATOR.dwg and drag & drop that into your current drawing
  • rename the ISOLATOR.dwg to any other name (ISOLATOR_OVERVIEW.DWG) then you can insert the complete drawing including it's internal ISOLATOR block definition.

2016-01-01 10-12-02.png

Happy New Year,  - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 5
apanbasu
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta