Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System requirements for visually impaired to run assistive tech with AutoCAD

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
948 Views, 3 Replies

System requirements for visually impaired to run assistive tech with AutoCAD

I'm partially sighted and studying engineering.  I would like to use AutoCAD and in the process of purchasing a laptop capable of running AutoCAD alongside my assistive tech which requires 4GB RAM to run smoothly. What are the true system requirements for CAD to run without freezing up the system? Is there any advice specific to assistive tech or visually impaired users? Is there a version which is more user friendly for continuously zooming in and out?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
cinqua
in reply to: Anonymous

I would also like to know more about this. I've just been notified that I will have a student who is legally blind (however she used an iPad but no word yet on a laptop) who is enrolled in my beginners AutoCad class. I have no idea if AutoCad Architecture 2018 has any features to help in teaching this student. 

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: cinqua

I am not aware of any specific features for visually impaired which is why I'm planning on running assistive tech eg JAWS, ZoomText, alongside. Unfortunately these aren't optimised for design software, so it's a case of trial and error.  They also need a lot of RAM to run so you will need a high spec desktop or laptop.  I have tried to use photo editing, virtual labs, on standard laptops, but the constant panning, and zooming in and out causes eye strain and is rather frustrating so I'm not sure how your student will cope  with an iPad.  My setup consists of a 17 inch laptop connected to a 27 inch monitor to reduce the frequency of panning and zooming in and out. I also have an electronic magnifier that sits on the desk (it's called a CCTV, not to be confused with a security camera) to project any drawings, printed text onto the monitor or my laptop, depending on what I'm doing.  I also have other magnification gadgets that can be connected to the laptop, monitor or a tablet.  It's a case of suggesting all the available VI software and hardware to your student to find out what the preferred setup is.  Not sure if you can customise the layout of the tools in AutoCad, but that may be helpful to your student if it's possible so that they can find all the tools they use most often easily without having to struggle searching as this can waste a ridiculous amount of time. Hopefully someone in the know will respond to our questions and shed some more light. 

Message 4 of 4
TheCADnoob
in reply to: Anonymous

I dont have any experience setting up assistive tech though it looks like Autodesk (or AutoCAD) is set up to use Microsoft's Active Accessibility. 

You can see a break down of the Voluntary Product Accessibility Templates: https://www.autodesk.com/solutions/government/section-508-accessibility-compliance

AutoCAD Spec can be found (2018) here:https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/System-r...

CADnoob

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta