Did you mean: 

Subtract Expansion Plans

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
397 Views, 9 Replies

Subtract Expansion Plans

Hello,

i have some expansion plans for fiber in municipals. The plans look something like you can see in the picture. I am no AutoCAD professional whatsoever 🙂

I have various layers and want to subtract one from another. 

Unfortunately the "Region" command doesn't work. It gives following output:

1787 closed, degenerate or unsupported objects rejected.
37 loops extracted.
37 Regions created.

This is why i can't subtract the layers I think.

Is there any other possibility?

Thank you!
Fabian

Screenshot 2016-12-07 09.47.02.png

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

hello Fabian

welcome to forum

what exactly do you mean by "subtracting layers"?

forget about creating regions for now. what kind of entities (objects) you have in those layers? lines, polylines...?

regards

bj

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

I have two Layers. The Layer "Trasse" has two types of entities: Polylines (2703) and Block References (1787). It looks like this: Screenshot 2016-12-07 10.55.50.png

The Layer "house connection" has three types of entities: Block reference (854), Text (839) and Polyline (840).

Screenshot 2016-12-07 10.56.08.png

I want to subtract "house connections" from the layer "trasse" so that i am left with a layer that has doesn't include the house connections.

I hope i could make it clear.

Best regards 

Message 4 of 10
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

the word subtract in terms of AutoCAD can only be used for regions or 3D-solids.

It can't be used with blocks or point-like objects or lines representing a house connection

And what I'm missing: where are the polygons of your houses? Or were the layers off when you created the screenshot?

What I think you mean is more a GIS-job like "show me all houses without a direct connection", that needs GIS-functionality like available in Map3D and/or Civil 3D, can't be done (without development or hard manual work) with Vanilla AutoCAD.

- alfred -

As you used "Trasse" as layername ... if you search for the German forum: >>>here<<< it is. 😉

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thank you for your answer!

There are no polygons of the houses, just the connections to them. Might be that the planning was not done thoroughly enough or it wasn't considered to be necessary.

So there is actually now way to subtract two lines from another?

Using something like Map3D and/or Civil 3D wouldn't give me better results as the information contained within the layers is the same right?

There is one layer which shows me the total lines and one layer with house connections, no additional options.

Best regards

Fabian

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

Additionally I do have layers that show me the number of pipes in the ground, as seen below:

Screenshot 2016-12-07 13.17.23.png

But what i do want, is the length of a single pipe throughout the municipality, without house connections. Is there any way to do that?

Message 7 of 10
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> So there is actually now way to subtract two lines from another?

What result are you expecting subtracting 2 lines from each other?

Can you draw a situation with 2 lines before your meaning of subtraction and what the result should then be after suctracting them?

>> Using something like Map3D and/or Civil 3D wouldn't give me better results as

>> the information contained within the layers is the same right?

For now I'm not sure what to do or how to understand this job from post 3:

>> I want to subtract "house connections" from the layer "trasse" so that i am left with a

>> layer that has doesn't include the house connections.

Can you describe with other words what you are looking for?

Are there existing pipes and you want to find out which pipes do have connection to your house-connection-blocks and other pipes which don't have a connection (next question for me would be: why do such pipes exist?)?

Can you upload the drawing with that data so we know which data-types/geometry-types you have.

Sorry that there is not all clear for me. But I guess describing the situation makes it easier to understand what you are really looking for.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

I'm sorry i could't make it clearer. I will try to explain it more detailed:

I have this Layer called "Trasse" that contains Informations about the way the pipes go, including house connections:

Screenshot 2016-12-07 14.20.16.png

Then I have another layer "house connections" which shows me house connections only. It looks like this (colours are very dark i hope you can see it):

Screenshot 2016-12-07 14.22.38.png

What i want to do, is subtract the layer "house connection" from the layer "Trasse". As a result is should look like this:

Screenshot 2016-12-07 14.24.53.png

Lines that don't include any house connections.

In the end i want to calculate the total length of the pipes, without the connections to each house.

I hope i could make myself clearer 🙂

Message 9 of 10
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

thx for screenshots, it makes it more clear, but not solvable with AutoCAD and without some tool development.

Even finding double objects will not work as the house-connection objects (in your lower screenshot) are not really duplicated objects to the lines from the above screenshot.

You might ask in the customization forum >>>click<<<, but also there you will have to show the drawing so that the guys know if that are lines, polylines, 3d-polylines, arcs, blocks (all that can't be seen in screenshots), also where to the house-connection objects geograpically match the white lines from the above screenshot (on mid-points, on end points, they are just close to or exactly above, ...) ... otherwise there are too many question marks to start  creating a tool that might help you.

Sorry, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

as Alfred mentioned, you need some AutoCAD customization to achieve what you want.

if I were you, I would do following in this case:

select all objects in model and filter it to all poly-lines with total length less than certain value (your call how much). and delete this selection. you will probably lose some of the lines from main pipe line, so bring them back manually later.

just type ctrl+1, select all entities with ctrl+a and then in upper right corner of "properties" panel find "quick select" icon, then click object type "polyline" etc. you will get the idea. 

if this is not clear, call me.

have fun

bj

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report