Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Problem with Autocad file

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
john.hailey
417 Views, 4 Replies

Strange Problem with Autocad file

Hey Folks I have a one of a kind (it seems) problem. Our Tech never seen it before and I haven't either.

Hopefully I can find a solution, (3 files from same model). Here goes:

I created a 3d model using CADWorx (an autocad shell program to make 3d piping model and drop iso's, uses isogen)

Dropped the iso drawings and worked on them. I notice some strange behaviour. Did a qsave and some of the colors changed.

Another time, part of the graphics disappeared. But here is the worst part, worked on them all day, saved it at end of day,

came back the next morning and I opened the file and it came up with a recovery, so I clicked ok, started to recover but when it was done it open

up and instead of having my 2d iso drawing it was the 3d model (a total saperate file and another folder that It was isogen from), the file was

now the 3d model. I even renamed the bak file and tried to open it and it did the same. Then I got the Autobackup file and it did the same.

I went to check to see the last saved date (check if tampered with) It showed I was last to save but the date didn't match the file details in the directory. That was odd also.

So I sent the iso files (before opening) to the tech so he could open the file (without having the 3d model file) and when he opened it, It did the exact same thing and there was the 3d model instead of the iso.

Side note: while working on the 3D piping, I made a (FBXImport) a Navis file. (FBX Export File). But, I brought it in a saperate 3d file and just exref in into

my primary 3D piping file. I'm wondering if thi sisn't the root problem.

Have anyone seen this before or have an answer?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
wispoxy
in reply to: john.hailey

Takes too much time to locate the source of an issue like this. Better off doing a Factory Reset with AutoCAD. By-the-way, is the file a .dwg?
Message 3 of 5
john.hailey
in reply to: wispoxy

Yes, it was a dwg file. (1) 3D model and (3) isometric piping drawings.

I'm wondering since the iso dwg was created through the isogen from the 3D model,

that possibly the drawings database retained the model it was made from at first and when the recovery

took place the prevous versions were corrupted, so it went all the way back to the first or original that was still embeded

in the drawing database and restored them with the 3D model.

Or, while I had both the 3D model open and the iso drawings open in the same session of Autocad, that

somehow the Autocad memory got crossed.

The laptop I'm using does have some graphics and ram problems that I've noticed. Maybe that also contributed.

That could be far fetched, I don't know. But, I deleted the 3D  model and pulled some saved copies of the iso's and I'm

re-working them.

I may never know the answer to this one.

Thanks for your reply.

Message 4 of 5
dgorsman
in reply to: john.hailey

ISOGEN doesn't work that way.  It takes a template file, copies it, and adds content to that file using the PCF file derived from the model contents.  The source model isn't directly involved in the process.  You should probably check your ISOGEN settings to ensure its reading the correct source file, and is writing to the correct location rather than the model location.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 5
john.hailey
in reply to: dgorsman

Thats Interresting, I would like to learn more about how isogen generates the iso's. Maybe you could give me a link to read up on?

But as far as the settings, they're correct and no defferent from the many other times I have succesfully dropped iso's and issued the project drawings.

So, same question, model in another directory, Iso's in the Iso drawing directory, How could the drawing go into recovery and instead of your iso drawings showing back up, it is now the 3D model you generated the Iso's from?

Thanks for your reply.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report