Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop snapping to hatch insert?

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
demus72
2881 Views, 15 Replies

Stop snapping to hatch insert?

I am working in 2017 on a site plan with plenty of hatch representing landscaping, asphalt, concrete, etc.. I have always used running object snaps including Insert. Whenever I pick while my cursor is over a hatch, it detects the hatch and snaps to it's insert, typically 0,0. This is not my intent at all! It would be nice if osnaps would ignore hatch, right?

I've already made sure the box was checked next to Ignore hatch objects on the Drafting tab of my options. This hasn't changed anything, still snapping to the insert of hatch. My only work around is to temporarily turn running osnaps off in order to avoid the hatch and then turn back on when needed. Inevitably, after turning my running osnaps back on I get in a hurry and wind up snapping to the insert of hatch again. Is there another way to tell the Insert snap not to recognize hatch?

Thanks!

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
imadHabash
in reply to: demus72

Hi,

Insert osnap mpde usually allows you to snap to the insertion points of Blocks, Text and XREFs. if you try to isolate your hatch (Layiso) does the same thing happened ? also in a new CAD file with new hatch does the same happened ?

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 3 of 16
demus72
in reply to: imadHabash

Hello Imad,

Thanks for your reply. When in the drawing that contains the hatch, it doesn't snap to the insert of the hatch. However, I am xreffing this drawing into a construction plan sheet and this is where it is recognizing the insert of that hatch. I haven't explored this issue in a new drawing. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Message 4 of 16
imadHabash

Hi,

>> However, I am xreffing this drawing into a construction plan sheet and this is where it is recognizing the insert of that hatch. <<

Now it's cleared...your insert osnap catch the attached xref and this is explain your NORMAL issue.

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 5 of 16
john.vellek

Hi @demus72,

I have tried duplicating this situation on my AutoCAD 2017 and I don't see the same issue. Is this happening in only one file or all your files? Can you attach one to a post so I can see if it behaves differently for me?

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 6 of 16
beyoungjr

I know everybody has their preferences and workflows but I urge my students to only have the OSNAPs that they bump into the most selected (only 6 of them at most... end, mid, Ctr, quad, int, ext).

The "On-Demand OSNAP" method, with shift-right-click, is efficient and yields precise usage while in any selection based command quickly.

Just an idea.

Blaine Young
Senior Engineering Technician, US Army

Message 7 of 16
john.vellek

Hi @demus72,

I am checking back to see if my post or others helped you with your problem. If the problem continues, please attach some sample files that show the behavior. Please add a post with how you decide to proceed and your results so other Community members may benefit.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if a post or posts solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 8 of 16
demus72
in reply to: john.vellek

Hello John,

No, unfortunately I haven't found a solution other than uncheck Insertion in my Object Snap modes. What happens is this: When I have a drawing with an xref loaded and I begin to draw a line or place a label, etc., if I have my Insert Object Snap box checked and my cursor hovering over hatch in the xref when I pick a starting point, it snaps to the insert of the xref drawing.

There is an Object Snap Option to Ignore hatch objects on the Drafting tab of the Options. I have this box checked but it still recognizes Insert if a pick point is selected over hatch in an xref. It would be nice if it ignored hatch objects contained in an external reference. I'd like to be able to pick a random point for any purpose over an externally referenced hatch area without snapping to anything.

Thank you

Message 9 of 16
gotphish001

The object hatch check box you are unchecking is for snapping to actual hatch. As in if you have it checked you can snap to every endpoint and corner of say a brick hatch. Useful if you want to line something up with like a brick or shingle, etc in the middle of the hatch. For the record that button just toggle the OSNAPHATCH variable.  That will have no effect on your issue, I don't think.

Do you use the insert snap enough to have it turned on in running snaps? I can honestly say I've never used that snap even once. I know it doesn't fix your problem but my work around would either be shut insert off in running snaps and just shift+right click and pick insert when you need it or when you are trying to put something over an xref hatch then shift+right click and pick NONE. I'd probably go with the first option if you don't use insert a ton. 

If you have lots of running snaps on I can see how it would be a pain to shut one off you use. I only keep 4 on and shift click for the rest. It doesn't affect my speed as I have shift bound to a mouse button so it's fast. That and I use a lot of mid point by 2 point snaps any way because I can't trust that drawings from consultants don't have 5 little lines that should be one line or 3 lines over top of each other. 

Nick DiPietro
Cad Manager/Monkey

Message 10 of 16
ArchD

I also find this functionality very annoying.

It would be nice if while OSOPTIONS is set to 1 to ignore hatch objects, that it ignores in in external references as well. In my tiny little mind, it seems like that should be the case but it's not.

Archie Dodge
Applications Expert - Infrastructure Solutions Division
IMAGINiT Technologies
Message 11 of 16
beyoungjr

Okay... Why do you need the Insert OSNAP object checked?  A hatch should never need to snap to an insertion point.  The "ignore hatch objects" option is for the actual objects that comprise the hatch and not the insertion point of the hatch.

AutoCAD is behaving as you are instructing it to and to find annoyance in this is to actually be annoyed with your own workflow.

I suggested earlier that you might consider un-checking the unnecessary running OSNAP options but you subsequently stated that you still have Insert checked... why?

Try without that item checked and let me know why it needs to be.

Cheers,

Blaine

Blaine Young

Message 12 of 16
ArchD
in reply to: beyoungjr

The insertion snap is not turned on for hatch at all. It's turned on in my case for snapping to block inserts and text inserts. All works well as it should until it is over a hatch within an external reference, hatch within the drawing is fine. I do have a couple sets of running snaps that I toggle between, but the issue with the hatch within an xref is that you don't realize that it's snapping to the insertion point until after it does so because the snap indicator is typically at 0,0,0. When I'm working in state plane coordinates, I don't see it because it's off screen. By that time it's too late to swap my running snaps before committing. So basically if I turn it on to do some snapping to block inserts and forget to shut it off for what ever reason and start to add some leaders, what usually happens is that I start the leader then go to place the text and it goes way out to 0,0,0. Then I have to undo, swap my running snaps and go again.

If the solution is not to use insertion as a running snap, why is it even an option? It's an option because it's useful many people, even if you do not use it.

Archie Dodge
IMAGINiT Technologies
Message 13 of 16
beyoungjr
in reply to: ArchD

I and another have advocated a useful workaround by using the OSNAP override (shift-right_click).

You target drawing has elements that force your workflow but that drawing also imposes problems.  Not software problem but drawing induced.

Sorry but that is not correctable by ACAD.

Blaine Young

Message 14 of 16
ArchD
in reply to: beyoungjr

I understand that it's not currently correctable by CAD, I've looked, but maybe it could be one day. The shift-right click to select insertion is not nearly as efficient with the amount of inserts I snap too. It's more efficient to let it snap to 0,0,0, get annoyed, undo, swap running snaps than to shift-right click.

I'm sure if AutoCAD had the time to make this change they could. I don't see much different than if it's in a drawing to ignore the hatch than if it's in an xref to ignore the hatch.

I'm just voicing my opinion because not everyone has the same workflows or drawings that you work on and insertion running snaps are more efficient than shift clicking them, despite what sort of drawings you work on leads you to believe. Maybe someone with a reactor lisp that addresses this issue might chime in, who knows?

Archie Dodge
IMAGINiT Technologies
Message 15 of 16
demus72

Thank you ArchD for your comments and explanation of a situation that appears to only affect us. Like you, I use the insert snap often enough that I'd prefer to leave it checked in the running object snaps. I use it regularly to snap to the Insert of text and blocks. I might even suggest that I use Insert frequently enough, it would fall only behind Endpoint and Midpoint.

Blaine, I do thank you for the suggestion of unchecking Insert in our running Osnaps. I did acknowledge your suggestion in one of my previous post so it hasn't been dismissed. I often use Ctrl + right click to get to mid between two points so maybe, just maybe, I will try to train myself to do the same with Insert. Right now I'm undecided.

However, I along with ArchD and the rest of the community do not come to these forums to be questioned in a manner that could be misconstrued as criticism. We come to these forums in search of solutions to issues and problems as we encounter them in our daily jobs. As an Adjunct CAD Instructor, you of all people should know when it comes to AutoCad, there are at least 13 different ways to accomplish the same thing. All of us users have developed our own methods and workflows and they all vary greatly from one another. Often times, it's simply a matter of someone else accomplishing a task in a manner that another hasn't considered or wasn't aware the manner was possible. Congratulations I say to you for discovering what you perceive to be the perfect workflow, wonderful! But it is with narrow mind that you would consider that personal workflow to be superior to that of everyone else.

First and foremost, these forums are a resource for learning. They have proven to be an invaluable resource to me as I have learned a lot and discovered countless solutions. While there are always workarounds, 13 different ways to accomplish the same thing, Autodesk isn't aware of what users are experiencing unless it is brought to their attention. In other words, they wouldn't realize a change could be made that would benefit many unless someone took the time to explain their issue or problem on a forum such as this. Perhaps I should have submitted this topic as a wish list item rather than ask the community if anyone else has experienced the same thing?

Regards,

Nick

Message 16 of 16
pendean

Friend, let's start over.

Fact: XREFs in AutoCAD are treated the same as BLOCK object types: always have been, still are. We all seem to know this now in this thread if I am not mistaken.

If you want to offer up a suggestion to Autodesk for future development there are better places to do it like here www.augi.com (look for the autocad wishlist) and https://www.autodesk.com/company/contact-us/product-feedback

Good luck: just don't hold your breath and stop egging others on pointlessly 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report