Did you mean: 

stop changing current layer

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Designer_1E
1198 Views, 8 Replies

stop changing current layer

Hello,

My current layer is constantly changing without my telling it to.  Usually it changes to the last object I selected or changed.  How do I stop this from happening.  I just want to stay on one layer unless I specifically change it?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
imadHabash
in reply to: Designer_1E

Hi,

>> My current layer is constantly changing without my telling it to.

This is a weird behavior that AutoCAD will not do it without an outsource interfere lisps or plugins. SO if you have lately install one then you have to check it out . 😉

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 3 of 9

Hi,

>> Usually it changes to the last object I selected or changed

How do you verify that?

My feeling is that you selected an object and then look to the layer-combo or to the property window ... because when an object is selected you will get the object's layer presented.

But when you press <ESC> (at least twice) to make sure no object is selected ... what does the layer-combo or property window show now?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 4 of 9

I'm aware the property box will show what I currently have selected.  I talking about I'll be deleting and move blocks around, and suddenly find the current layer changed to something I touched a dozen commands ago. 

For example: I selected the lines on the "stair" layer moved them all to "base_building" then continued working, deleting, moving.  But some how "stair" was made current when it had previously been layer 0.  I need to stay on layer 0 because of the block system we are using.

Message 5 of 9

Hi,

>> But some how "stair" was made current when it

>> had previously been layer 0

I can't think about a way to make that happen automatically (as long as their is no 3rd party app installed and working).

To isolate the issue/to find the exact time when that happens you might use SYSVARMONITOR (>>>details<<<) ... add system variable CLAYER to the list of watched variables. This will show you a popup when the current layer was changed to a different one and so give you a feedback when exactly that happens.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 6 of 9

Ok, I'll give that a try and see what I come up with.

Thank you!

Message 7 of 9
rkmcswain

CLAYER is the system variable for the Current LAYER. You can use this to monitor it, and to figure out what is changing it.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 8 of 9
pendean

I suspect you selected layer STAIR from the pulldown without objects being selected and it because the current layer.

TO confirm: for the next day or two only use PROPERTIES command to change objects' layers, or use LAYMCH to accomplish the tasks.

Message 9 of 9
s.borello

Not typical of AutoCAD.. do you have any add-ins running that may be causing this behavior? 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report