Software advice for new user

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
brianrfindlay
375 Views, 5 Replies

Software advice for new user

Hello, 

I’m looking for some guidance regarding software for designing a product. I’ve never used AutoCAD before, so please forgive any faux pas’ in asking in this forum, as I’m not aware of the correct terms to use when searching.

As a small business with a design idea, I need to get a virtual prototype built that can then be used to attract investment and potential partners. So far I have used a somewhat rudimentary iOS application to define shapes, and this has been successful enough, but I need to be able to build “moving prototypes”, and these prototypes must move with realistic conditions, so that this can form part of a proof of concept. 

If we can assume that the shapes can be imported from an external shape editor, then I need to know what software is best for taking the parts, and turning them into moving parts with rules to govern the real-time movement. 

Thanks in advance, and apologies if this isn’t using the best language to describe my needs. 

Kind regards,

Brian

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

You can use AutoCAD but it doesn't support animations. Autodesk Inventor may be another option. Animations can be done in Inventor as well as 3DS Max.

Vincent Sheehan

Sr. Civil Designer
Poly In 3D Blog

Message 3 of 6
paullimapa
in reply to: brianrfindlay
Message 4 of 6

Hello again,

thanks for responding, these responses have been most helpful and I feel a little less lost.

If I may ask a single follow up question, can I ask if either of these software solutions would allow me to program in a relationship that would control the animation? In other words, can I input a non-linear controlling variable, that will perform the animation?

This is actually essential to the design, and I note that there are several "physics engines" that can do this sort of thing, so assuming that file compatibility is possible then it might not be an issue anyway, it's just something that if available could sweeten the deal for me a bit.

Thanks again,
Brian
Message 5 of 6

Hard to say without knowing what is your "non-linear controlling variable". If it is a force (load) or a mechanic movement or similar Inventor (as suggested above) can do that (Dynamic Simulation), if it is e.g. a temperature then not. For other programs I'm not sure.

Jürgen Palme
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 6

Hi,

that's exactly what I was after, thankyou very much

Brian

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta