Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending AutoCAD in a way that it could not be changed

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
octavio2
756 Views, 6 Replies

Sending AutoCAD in a way that it could not be changed

Is there a way to send AutoCAD drawings to someone in such a way that the AutoCAD drawings could only be viewed but could not be changed? (This rules out sending then in PDF, of course).

Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Erense
in reply to: octavio2

Basically NO, there is no way to 'protect' a drawing.

The only way is to compare the Original and a copy to review any differences.

DWG is 'open' and any object in it can be used/changed.

Only way to achieve this is put the file on a special server from which they can view but not open or save.

I do not know of any technical detail about this. maybe an Internet site would give this result.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Kind regards,

Edwin Rense
Cadac Group AEC BV
Supporting Consultant AEC
Cadac Group .
Message 3 of 7
imadHabash

Hi,

i believe -some day- that this issue will become a true since it's a big wish and easily can be achieved by developers.i'll give you this idea to start with if it's achieve your need by AutoCAD 2017.

- convert your CAD file to PDF file.

- import it again to empty CAD file by IMPORTPDF command and you can control all options available.

- NOW you can treat and manage CAD drawing with lines and arcs that lost(some how) the original CAD properties.

ans as you said ( ... only be viewed but could not be changed ) you can prepare a unneede PDF scale (some how) to inforce the others that this CAD drawing it's only for viewing not for treat with.

Hope it's help..

Note:

when i start to do this with others they ask me to send respectable PDF files to them.... Smiley Very Happy

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
RobDraw

What is it you are trying to protect, the design or the CAD content?

If it's the design and you don't trust the recipient, check the project contract and if sharing the files in not in there, refuse to share the .dwg. Be aware that you may ruffle some feathers by doing this. If it's in the contract, you don't really have a choice. If you send them files that they cannot use, you could be in breach of the contract.

If it's the content, i.e., blocks, styles, etc., forget it. Even though you may trying to protect an investment of time, there is always someone who can recreate it. Keep in mind that the standards that you set up your files to may not coincide with the recipients and a certain amount of reworking will more than likely be necessary on their end, i.e. your files are being used for coordination of trades.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 5 of 7
jggerth

Well of course there is a way to send a DWG that cannot be modified.  Burn it onto a CD-R (Not CD-RW).  Add a manifest file with a checksum of the DWG file(s).   Make two copies, and send one out, and file the other.  The actual DWG you send cannot be modified.

Now, nothing prevents the recipient from making a copy of that dwg to a writable drive, and editing the heck out of that copy, but you'll be able to prove in court that the modified version is NOT what you sent out and filed.,  Remember to do a letter of transmittal, and get a delivery receipt.

Message 6 of 7
Kent1Cooper

For more discussion about this, do some Searching [on the entire Community, not just this board] -- this has come up many times before.  Search for terms like "protect" and "prevent" and "lock".

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 7 of 7
pendean

NO.

You can create a raster PDF from AutoCAD if you want, search the web, it's not a secret.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta