Did you mean: 

Sectionplane Hidden Lines ??

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
HarryHighpants
1385 Views, 5 Replies

Sectionplane Hidden Lines ??

I must be missing something obvious.

How do you get a 2D block output from a sectionplane, with hidden lines on. Seems if you select hidden lines, everything in front of the section plane is shown hidden, including outlines!

Sectionplane Hidden Lines.PNG

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Hi,

can you please show the DWG file and let us know your version of AutoCAD (and service pack)?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 6

Hi Alfred.

Thanks for your reply. Please see attached.

I'm running AutoCAD 2017 N52.0.0

Message 4 of 6

Hi,

I can reproduce the issue and I don't find a correct setting for "Background Lines" that handles continuous as well as hidden linetypes correct.

In most cases sections are only needed for layouts/plots, doesn't help the newer technology based on command _VIEWBASE (>>>details<<<), also look to the attached drawing (Layout "VIEWBASE_Sample").

The most important advantages are

• does not disturb modelspace (with section blocks)
  • less issues with hiddenline display
  • associative, every change of the model will update the views/sections/details automatically

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 5 of 6

Autodesk have been 'supporting' SECTIONPLANE for quite a few years now, and they consider it important enough to give it it's own ribbon.

If VIEWBASE is truly superior, then why not discontinue SECTIONPLANE instead of continuing to support something that doesn't actually work?

Also, I respectfully disagree that VIEWBASE is better than SECTIONPLANE. Why should I have to load up the entire 3D model just to look at a 2D section or view of it? Sure, it's ok for a small model, but after that it becomes slow and unresponsive.

AutoCAD is not a new product. It has been enjoying a lot of support and patronage for decades. Yet each release of AutoCAD feels every bit as 'beta' as the last. New features are added, some of which only half work, and then they are left to languish. Perfect example is SECTIONPLANE.

Message 6 of 6

Hi,

>> If VIEWBASE is truly superior, then why not discontinue SECTIONPLANE

Discontinuing functions is in most times not an option, especially as there might be a lot of applications, scripts, tools, ... are out in the world working with that tool.

>> If VIEWBASE is truly superior,

It's my personal opinion, but I don't have a problem if other people like to use _SECTIONPLANE more than _VIEWBASE.

>> Why should I have to load up the entire 3D model just to look at a 2D section or view of it?

You can run command _EXPORTLAYOUT to save only 2D info's from your model

>> Perfect example is SECTIONPLANE.

Report all the bugs you seem to have found with this command to Autodesk (using your subscription center), it might be possible they find a ways to get it working (for this issue it's just me not finding a solution) or they can forward the case to the dev-team. (...ever done that?)

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report