Did you mean: 

Room Area - Hatched

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1033 Views, 6 Replies

Room Area - Hatched

Hi,

Currently working on a project where each room of a floor plan needs to be zoned by a coloured hatch which references to a colour key on the title block. My question is this... is there a quicker/ better workflow than tracing around the room outlines with the polyline command then hatching the polyline.

I have looked at the pick point & gap tolerance options but it takes a long time and often freezes.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ennujozlagam
in reply to: Anonymous

So far that's the only way to do it. If it freezes try to install latest updates from autodesk and see if helps. thanks

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 3 of 7
imadHabash

Hi,

for me ... tracing lines is the best practical way . just turn off all unwnated layers and with proper osnap to make it easy for work and when you finish ... believe me you will get accepted and elegant work . 

>> I have looked at the pick point & gap tolerance options but it takes a long time and often freezes. <<

it's Normal ... especially when you have a lot of details lines and arcs around . 

Regards,

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
dbroad

If you move up to AutoCAD Architecture, spaces and walls are associative and you can control their display style based on display themes that have their own legends.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Create the polyline for the boundary (don't forget to close it) then use the select objects method instead of pick points in the hatch command.

At the Select Objects: prompt, you could type in L as a way of selecting the polyline without having to pick it.

Message 6 of 7
Kent1Cooper

@Anonymous wrote:
... is there a quicker/ better workflow than tracing around the room outlines with the polyline command then hatching the polyline.

What I typically do is to make a Layer for door- and window-head edges [which I will use in reflected ceiling plans, but turn off in regular floor plans], and draw Lines only across the door and window openings, rather than Polylines all the way around the rooms.  Then with just the wall and door/window-head Layers on [plus, of course, the Hatching Layer on and current], Hatching rooms by picking points is easy and quick.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 7 of 7
ara_neresesian

hi

just for faster action just Ctrl+c the area which you want to do hatch in to a new drawing with paste as original

coordinate  and then run hatch command .

in the new drawing its so fast because it is a light file not so heavy 

and when you done you can cut hatch and paste it to your original file  with  paste as original coordinate 

i am using this method when my file is to large. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report