Did you mean: 

Rectangular array like a pro

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
794 Views, 9 Replies

Rectangular array like a pro

Hello guys!

So I would like to use the rectangular array command like a pro.

Let me tell the story: I have a layout of a house (from top view of course). I have the walls. I would like to distribute the lamps inside the rooms, but with conditions. 

I would like to tell the program  zones as measures not exact sizes.

Like: the lamps should be 1000 mm from each other at least, but maximum 3000 mm. The distance can change in this zone (from 1000-3000 mm) but only with 100 mm steps. (So no 2987,35 mm)

Also I would love if I can order to the program that the first lamp from the walls must be at least 200 mm away,but not more than 2000 mm. This can be fraction number.

Is this possible?

Now I do all this in a lot of steps, I would like to find a faster way.

Thank you!

Tags (3)
Labels (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
imadHabash
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

>> Is this possible?

Sorry ... NO !!!

>> Now I do all this in a lot of steps

True .. this is how it will work in AutoCAD . 

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
Kent1Cooper

That seems too wide-open -- I expect in a lot of cases there would be multiple possible solutions.

One thing that could get you part of the way there is DivideMeasurePlus.lsp, available >here<.  Its MEA+ command gives you the option, not available in regular MEASURE, to center the results on the path, rather than start from one end.  At this prompt:

Standard measure alignment or Center on path length [ S  C ]? <Standard>:

pick on the C option, or type C.

So for one direction, you would draw a Line across the room [or use a wall Line if there's one that goes the whole distance in one piece], and use MEA+ to place your light-fixture Blocks at a specified spacing.  But it can't decide within your spacing range what to use -- you would have to choose a spacing, try it, and see whether the end Blocks are at an appropriate distance from the ends, and if not, try again with a different spacing.

Having established the positions in one direction, you could draw a Line across the room in the other direction, and use, instead of the Blocks option, the Selection option [also not available in regular MEASURE] to pick the whole row  of fixtures placed in the first direction, and place them collectively in similar fashion across the second direction.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 4 of 10
R_Tweed

I'm not sure how a range would work but you could try posting this in the dynamic block forum. I'm not sure about the rectangular array but we have something setup that is a similar concept for anchor bolt layouts.  ex. first bolt must be 8" or 16" from end and then the spacing will be at a given increment or division to another bolt that is equally spaced from the other end. If you have a subscription, there are layout tools in Autocad for Architecture that will also work in a similar way.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

In Revit,  there is a bonus program named magicad, what can do the same thing with fire protection sprinkler heads.

But it does not work with autocad.

So as I can see, it is possible, but I have no idea how.

Message 6 of 10
ВeekeeCZ

@Anonymous wrote:

So as I can see, it is possible, but I have no idea how.

Sure is. Learn to program. Then only sky's the limit. 

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: ВeekeeCZ

As Hetfield would say: Sad but true. I need to learn programing. 

Message 8 of 10
ВeekeeCZ

Why sad? I do not consider that being sad.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: ВeekeeCZ

Sad, because I have no interests in programing. I tried in the past, I learned in the university, I can see the beauty in it, but it's far not my way.

Message 10 of 10
ВeekeeCZ

I'm pretty sure that is plenty of SW based on AutoCAD on the market. Not just Revit.

You're expecting too much from plain AutoCAD. It's just a dumb drawing tool. You need something smart, parametric SW. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta