Did you mean: 

Recovering drawing information from a .DMP file created from AutoCAD Crash

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
7906 Views, 6 Replies

Recovering drawing information from a .DMP file created from AutoCAD Crash

Recently, I had 5 drawings open in AutoCAD. In one of them, I had an active command that I walked away and didn't realize it. I tried executing something from the Menu files and I crashed. It indicated that a .DMP file was created and gave me the path. Does this .DMP file contain all my drawing info and can it be recovered from AutoCAD environment? I have a temporary file saved but it's from 2 hours ago. I hate to lose 2 hours of work.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
wispoxy
in reply to: Anonymous

.DMP only shows the process log. It cannot actually recover your drawings back.
Message 3 of 7
pendean

Look for your SV$ autosave file in the WIndows temp folder for your login if the BAK file that is created alongside your DWG file when you manually save is of no use.

Message 4 of 7
john.vellek

HI @Anonymous,

I am sorry that you are experiencing such Meltdown!

The first thing I suggest is to copy all the SV$ files from your C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\Temp folder to a secure location. I would also do the same with any BAK files.

Now you can methodically rename the files as DWG files and explore what recoverability is available.

Please update your post if you require additional assistance.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if my post fully solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 5 of 7
john.vellek

Hi ebottsUDG4J,

I am checking back to see if my post or others helped you with your problem. Please add a post with your results so other Forum users can benefit.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if a post or posts fully solved your issue or answered your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: wispoxy

Yes. I knew how to recover files from my Temporary Drawing location but wasn't sure if there was a way to recover anything from the.DMP file and what content, if any was recoverable from this file format. Now I know. Thanks.
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

I have had success converting .tmp files...just rename it to .dwg extension  They are typically stored in the respective project file folder that you are using to save drawings. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report