Did you mean: 

"Reference From"

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
cmiller
377 Views, 15 Replies

"Reference From"

Finally got a new PC and was able to upgrade for old seat of Autocad Mech.
Pertaining to Osnap settings, once I pick "reference from" I lose visibility of object I am trying to move or copy.
This never worked that way in the older version. I was always able to see the object after picking reference from. Dragmode is auto.
Command Preview - checked
Property preview - checked.
Selection Preview Filter - all excluded unchecked

Anywhere else I should be looking?

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Patchy
in reply to: cmiller

Probably this setting:

GFXDX BLAH BLAH.JPG

Message 3 of 16
jreidKVSUZ

CM,

I am sure after buying a new computer you don't want to hear upgrade.

Try the Graphics Performance command.

It maybe at the bottom right of your screen. If not pick the (3) bars and it will pop up and select it there.

My computer is powerful but with that selected on it messed the view up as well. 

So my screen does not have it showing at the bottom due to I unchecked it.

Hope this helps!

JRR!!

jreidKVSUZ_0-1724173546923.png

jreidKVSUZ_1-1724173668178.png

Message 4 of 16
cmiller
in reply to: Patchy

@Patchy wrote:

Probably this setting:

GFXDX BLAH BLAH.JPG

Nope. That did not work.

Message 5 of 16
cmiller
in reply to: jreidKVSUZ

@jreidKVSUZ wrote:

CM,

I am sure after buying a new computer you don't want to hear upgrade.

Try the Graphics Performance command.

It maybe at the bottom right of your screen. If not pick the (3) bars and it will pop up and select it there.

My computer is powerful but with that selected on it messed the view up as well. 

So my screen does not have it showing at the bottom due to I unchecked it.

Hope this helps!

JRR!!

Did nothing for me. Is that only a shortcut to get to graphics performance options?
Anything in your options off?
All mine are on.

cmiller_0-1724174256319.png

Message 6 of 16
Valentin-WSP

@cmiller ,

@cmiller wrote:

... Anywhere else I should be looking?

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Emilio Valentin
Message 7 of 16
cmiller
in reply to: Valentin-WSP

@Valentin-WSP wrote:

@cmiller ,

@cmiller wrote:

... Anywhere else I should be looking?

None of that refers to my issue. My drawings are loading correctly and nothing wrong with them.

Here is what I have going on.
I have say a block. I proceed to copy that block. It select fine. I then choose midpoint of a line as it's base. I think pick "reference from" in power snap options, at that point the item disappears, no now I have no idea where I can actually drop it. I can input a dimension and then that block reappears. Sometimes however, I use the reference from and move items, but I need to see the item I am moving. It worked like that in the 2019 version. It would stay visible wherever I moved the cursor to. That is not how it acts in 2025.

Edit:
While still in the copy command, if I escape out of the reference point snap option, I get the object back on the screen, But I have lost the reference point I need to work off of.

Message 8 of 16
jreidKVSUZ

I think I know your issue. DRAGMODE!!!!

https://help.autodesk.com/view/ACD/2024/ENU/?guid=GUID-0690A755-3B81-44E7-9AB2-5DFED263642F

Your DRAGMODE is not set to AUTO.

See if that works.

Hope that helps!!

JRR!!

Message 9 of 16
cmiller

Here is a quick video. 1st copy of object to right is dropped after pick a spot. I have no idea where the object is(although I know it is still attached to crosshairs). But I need to see the object at times.
2nd copy routine after referencing mid point you can see object go away, I escape out of the reference command and object is visible. But I lost the point I was referencing from....

Message 10 of 16
cmiller
in reply to: jreidKVSUZ

Nope dragmode is set to auto. I can copy and move and still see the object. It is only when I choose "reference from", that I lose view of object. If I escape out of the reference from command, object becomes visible again.
Something else is causing the object to disappear only when "reference from" is chosen. That is how I did it for years before last week when I upgraded PC and Autocad(to 20205). Last version I worked on was 2019.
I always would pick reference from, then midpoint/endpoint/intersection, and so on.

cmiller_0-1724179881565.png

Message 11 of 16
cmiller

I also tried setting dragmode to On, and typing drag during command. That too does not show object when dragging.

Message 12 of 16
dmfrazier

I [then] pick "reference from" in power snap options, at that point the item disappears..."

Seems like "power snap options" might be the issue.

Is this a normal, included feature of Mechanical, or is it an add-on?

If an add-on, is it compatible with 2025? (Maybe there's a new version.)

If it is a normal, included feature, did you migrate settings (and other things) from your previous version?

Message 13 of 16
cmiller
in reply to: dmfrazier

@dmfrazier wrote:

I [then] pick "reference from" in power snap options, at that point the item disappears..."

Seems like "power snap options" might be the issue.

Is this a normal, included feature of Mechanical, or is it an add-on?

If an add-on, is it compatible with 2025? (Maybe there's a new version.)

If it is a normal, included feature, did you migrate settings (and other things) from your previous version?

It's Mechanical. It is normal as far as I know. Didn't add anything in as option. Just did a fresh install of it last week on a new PC. Nothing there to migrate.
If you set mbuttonpan to 0, middle button/roller on mouse pops up those options when in commands.

Message 14 of 16
cadffm

Hi,

>>"It's Mechanical. It is normal"

Right.

>>"If you set mbuttonpan "

It's the usual object snap context menu, originally on SHIFT + RMK  or CTRL + RMK

and by mbuttonpan off, alos on MMK/wheel.

Your menu is the mechanical standard, dmfrazier knows the autocad standard, what is different.

>>" pick "reference from" I lose visibility of object I am trying to move or copy."

If you really used MECH2018 cuix before: It changed from 2018 to 2019 (same macro, but dragging acts different)

BTW: Here is the decided Board for MECHANICAL questions <CLICK>

BUT HEY, you know that! And you figured out, years ago, that you are unlucky the the "reference from" feature of mechanical.

Your workaround was and is the same, instead of the powersnap method, use object snap method FROM

(you shouldn't just edit the macro, edit name, commandname,.. also)

See ID_From of your loaded partial ACADMAC.cuix.

Note: I am not a Mechanical User, I don't know about the features of ampsnapref&"Reference from",

so I can't know sideeffects of using FROM instead of ampsnapref.

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 15 of 16
cadffm
in reply to: cadffm

@cadffm  schrieb:

If you really used MECH2018 cuix before: It changed from 2018 to 2019 

I read about that you used your own custom setup, by chance you didn't used the mech2018 snap context menu.

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 16 of 16
cmiller
in reply to: cadffm

>>" pick "reference from" I lose visibility of object I am trying to move or copy."

If you really used MECH2018 cuix before: It changed from 2018 to 2019 (same macro, but dragging acts different)

BTW: Here is the decided Board for MECHANICAL questions <CLICK>

BUT HEY, you know that! And you figured out, years ago, that you are unlucky the the "reference from" feature of mechanical.
Thanks for pointing that out. I quicky came here instead. Upon searching and reading in the mech forum, I did find an old post from me back in 11-28-2018. Been so long I completely forgot I ever did that. And to my surprise, it is about the same subject. Did the same work-around.  Thanks for the help and bringing back my memory.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta