Did you mean: 

Polylines are non-coplanar

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
Anonymous
32834 Views, 23 Replies

Polylines are non-coplanar

I've been getting this error on and off for about a year now, and I'm getting real sick of constantly erasing and re-drawing objects. So I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this.

I sometimes will try to join two polylines (LWPOLYLINES) and it won't work. If I then try to fillet them with a radius of zero, I get the error that the two entities are non-coplanar. But they are. I've tried changing the elevation of both to something else (like 1) with no luck. I've tried the _FLATTEN express tool, with no luck. I've tried exploding, setting all the z-points to zero and then trying again, either by filleting with radius 0, or by converting them back to polylines and joining. Also no luck. I've tried purging (including purging DGN linetypes), auditing and even copying the objects into a new drawing.

The only thing I've been able to do that works is erase the object and re-draw it. For some reason, even if I put points at the ends of the line (or ends and middle for arcs), erase it then redraw using those points, it works. So the points are definitely coming in at z=0. I just can't figure out what's going on. One thing I've noticed is that this only ever seems to happen with drawings we get from outside our office. It never seems to happen on drawings made here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

23 REPLIES 23
Message 21 of 24
blfreilich
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

I will try this. Thank you!
Message 22 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: blfreilich

For those who are experiencing this issue years later; I eventually worked out a solution.

What I learned was that, when this was happening, if I exploded the lines, saved, closed and re-opened the file, I then often found extremely high or low Z-values on the vertices. Usually near or at the upper or lower limit of a float.  For some reason, when this happened (it's an issue I no longer have since I upgraded), the elevation of the lwpolyline and the Z-value of the 3D polyline both show zero. Even if I just exploded, the lines would show a Z-value of zero at each vertex until I saved and re-opened.

I then found that using Lisp; I could access those z-values without having to save, close and re-open the file. So I wrote a script that flattens the drawing in a way that works. Please excuse my lack of explanation as to how it works, as I frankly don't remember exactly. If I recall correctly, it directly modifies all of the entities in the drawing that might be affected by this issue so as to ensure they are all set to zero Z-value (basically, it overwrites the vertex coordinates with X, Y, 0). I wrote it years ago (a couple months after my last post here). There are two functions in the file that use a "*.ini" file (just a text file, not a traditional INI file) in a hard-coded folder: you should change those to suit your system. Once this file is loaded, the command "DFLAT" should fix this error. This was written for ACAD Civil 3D 2013, I believe.

I'm a little surprised to see people still commenting on this thread years later, so hopefully this will help someone. I don't recall this function ever not working, so best of luck.

Message 23 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

This worked for me:

1. "Explode" polyline

2. "Flatten" command> select all line segments

3. "Join" command > all segments

Message 24 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes it is work for me only when max Z start & Z end 

= zero for one each set property when using area command

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta