Did you mean: 

Polyline tangency query

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
1372 Views, 8 Replies

Polyline tangency query

How can I specify a radius when in polyline command and maintain tangency. If I give radius, it remains no more tangent to previous segment. Also, after drawing an arc segment, how can I get the following line segment to be tangent to arc. Thanks in advance for all your help. 

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
beyoungjr
in reply to: Anonymous

Use the Arc or "A" option.

Blaine Young
Senior Engineering Technician, US Army

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: beyoungjr

Maybe I did not explain clearly. Start a pline command, draw a segment and hit A for arc. The temporary graphic on screen will show a tangent arc. But, now hit R for radius and specify a radius, say 50. Try placing the end point and the arc is no more tangent to the previous segment?

Message 4 of 9
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I think I understand what you are looking for.  Start your pline, type A for ARC and then before you type the radius, Use Shift and hover over the original segment then enter the radius and the resulting arc should be tangent.

Please see my video to see if it helps better than this weak description.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

@john.vellek Thanks for the demonstration. However that didn't work for me. Doesn't holding Shift just turns on Ortho temporarily? Following your method gave me a chord length of 45 and not a radius of 45. Can you check the radius of that arc in your video and confirm that it is indeed 45. 

Message 6 of 9
beyoungjr

By changing to radius you are going to define a hard number so forget about playing with the mouse on the polyline arc.  You in fact should know where you need to be and use coordinates appropriate to your need.

Using radius...

Polyline

Start Point

Next Point

A for Arc

R for Radius

"2" for the value.

0,4 for an arc that sweeps counterclockwise 180 degrees.

or

2,2 for an arc that sweeps counterclockwise 90 degrees

and so on...

Polyline usage with tangent arcs implies that you will understand destination coordinates similar to CNC programming on a machine tool.

Otherwise create profiles with the standard line/arc commands and then join them when doen.

Hope that helps?

Blaine

Blaine Young

Message 7 of 9
Ranjit_Singh1

Maybe like this..Pline_radius_tangent.gif

Message 8 of 9
beyoungjr

I also forgot to mention the "Continue" option of the Arc command.  That's getting back to basic Arcs vs polyline arcs but the continue option will yield tangent continuances for you.  Then you can join the objects to make them polylines.

Blaine Young

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

Thanks @Ranjit_Singh1. This is exactly what I need. I will test it soon and update.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report