Point that displays long and lat

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
pedrommarreiros77
905 Views, 10 Replies

Point that displays long and lat

Hey everyone.

So I'm busy with a development and I want to put a point in on Geolocation, but I want it to auto fill the Latitude and Longitude, instead of me having to type it out every time, is this possible? 

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: pedrommarreiros77

I think Civil 3D has this capabililty.

In plain AutoCAD, I'd suggest a block with auto-updating fields but fields and blocks don't work very well together.

Here is one that I have managed to make work but ONLY if you copy/paste from this drawing to the one you want to work in. If you insert it from Design Center, the fields will break and just display '0.000'.

Once you have it in the drawing, you can copy it about with COPY command (you'll need to REGEN to see the fields update) but again if you try to INSERT it even if it's in the drawing, the fields will break.

Message 3 of 11
pedrommarreiros77
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi, thanks for the response. It seems to not be putting the correct values in. I will attach my DWG here so you can see what my Coordinates look like. 

It needs to be geographical lat and long. 

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

The block seems to be working as I designed it...

The "lat" value is the x-coordinate of the centre of the circle

The "long" value is the "y-coordinate of the centre of the circle

What format does it need to be in? We might be able to format the field so that it displays correctly

Message 5 of 11
pedrommarreiros77

Hi, thanks for the response. It seems to not be putting the correct values in. I will attach my DWG here so you can see what my Coordinates look like. 

It needs to be geographical lat and long. 

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

I think this one should work. The position marker is not part of the block (as the fields won't work if it is), so you will need to copy & paste the block and the marker together.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

Actually, there's no real need for the text to be in a block if the position marker isn't also in the block (which it can't be as the fields break if you turn it into a block).

Again, copy & paste from one drawing into another. 

I did experiment with putting a field inside the position marker text but it wouldn't let me select the marker while I was editing the associated text - hence the two separate objects.

Not sure why Autocad doesn't have an option on the position marker annotation just to show lat & long.

Message 8 of 11
trisha

Marianne,

This is *almost* exactly what I need for a completely different project.  Is there any way to export the text?  My client is looking for a list (MS Excel type format) of multiple Position Markers, in latitude/longitude, which they intend to turn into Google Map marker points.  I know it's not available in a standard Data Extraction but that's essentially what I'm looking for.  If there's a way to not have to manually copy the lat/long into a Block Attribute for each position marker, that would be amazing.  Thank you.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: trisha

Hi @trisha , 

While data extraction won't allow you to take the lat & long of a position marker (why, Autodesk! it's in the properties!), if you use the MText with fields linked to the position marker, then data extraction will give you the contents of the fields. 

You'd need a way to split the lat from the long - if you saved the data extract as a .csv (just change the filetype on the final screen of the data extraction wizard) it would split the two if you had a comma in the middle of the text string as I have.

You probably know - if you set up one position marker plus mtext with fields, then copy them both around the place, then the fields don't break. If you already have the position markers set up then you could copy the text around and re-do the fields for each one, but that's going to take a while.

Somebody somewhere might have a clever lisp for you! I don't know of one but I've never looked.

Message 10 of 11
trisha

@Anonymous,

Thank you so very much!  We might just be able to make this work.  So appreciate your position marker with the ml text field.  Thanks again!  And this is definitely going on the wish list from me!

Message 11 of 11

CGEOCS = "RSA-LAMBERT"

How did you determine the geo-referencing for this drawing?  Did you notice that your rural roads are over 8500 units wide?  You need to seriously scrutinize this drawing before putting much time into it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta