Did you mean: 

Plot Pointcloud to PNG

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
O_Eckmann
240 Views, 4 Replies

Plot Pointcloud to PNG

Hi,

I've 50 RCP file representing 400Gb and covering a site of 130 hectares.

From AutoCAD I want to load these RCP and plot tiles to PNG.

I've set POINTCLOUDPOINTMAX to 25 000 000 but only a small part of points are loaded, because these points are maximum per drawing, not per cloud

I had hoped that these 25 million points would be used for the print area, but this is not the case.

I've cropped all RCP to a polygon limited to my printed area and I had hoped that these 25 million points would be used for the crop/visible/print area, but this is not the case.

I've tried to unload RCP not covering the print area, I had hoped that these 25 million points would be used for the visible part of RCP, but this is not the case.

Only solution I've found is to detach RCP to force AutoCAD to recalculate these 25 million point to RCP attached.

is there a way to force the software to use the maximum resolution in the area to be printed?

Thanks.

Olivier Eckmann

EESignature

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
CodeDing
in reply to: O_Eckmann

@O_Eckmann ,

You will either need to reduce the number of points in your point clouds before you bring them into AutoCAD (are you using Vanilla or C3D?) OR you will have to just set your Level of detail as low as possible (probably still won't do it).

25 Million points is MORE than enough for plotting (there are only ~8 million pixels in a 4K image, and 20 million pixels in a 20MP camera anyways).

You need to adjust your workflow to work within the limits of the program. You wouldn't expect a Ford F-150 pickup truck to go 200 MPH (322 KPH), you would either lower your speed expectations, or put more effort into improving its engine. So you will either need to adjust your project to work within the limits of AutoCAD, or perhaps find a different program that fulfills your needed criteria.

Best,

~DD

Need AutoLisp help? Try my custom GPT 'AutoLISP Ace':
https://chat.openai.com/g/g-Zt0xFNpOH-autolisp-ace
Message 3 of 5
O_Eckmann
in reply to: CodeDing

@CodeDing ,

It's terrestrian mobile mapping to cover large site. I use Map 3D or Civil if necessary. But I couldn't reduce the number of point in my pointcloud.

If I resonate on 1 single run, I have about 300 million points in 1 point cloud, but only 25 million can be displayed.
I need to produce an ortho-photograph with a resolution of 1 pixel per cm.

So I plot 25m*25m tiles at a resolution of 2500*2500 pixels, i.e. 6 million pixels.
But in the area covered by the run, I'll probably have about fifteen tiles, so I'm well over the 25 million pixels.

As I mentioned, I don't have just 1 run, but 50 in total.

I decided on another solution, which consisted in tiling each cloud at a resolution of 50m*50m, then in AutoCAD I loaded the tile required for the layout, then I traced 4 tiles (25*25), then I unloaded the cloud and moved on to the next tile.

I think that by automating all this, I should be able to produce my raster tiles in about 48 hours.

Olivier Eckmann

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
CodeDing
in reply to: O_Eckmann

Food for thought, have you looked into Pix4D? Very good and simple tool for things like this

Need AutoLisp help? Try my custom GPT 'AutoLISP Ace':
https://chat.openai.com/g/g-Zt0xFNpOH-autolisp-ace
Message 5 of 5
O_Eckmann
in reply to: CodeDing

Hi @CodeDing ,

I use Metashape for UAV computation.

It was my other solution if my first idea of using AutoCAD fails 😀, but importing 400Go of pointcloud should be as long as tilling into small square.

Olivier Eckmann

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta